Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Sunday, September 13, 2009
- Dealers, please price your merchandise. Nothing is a bigger time waster than having to ask the price for every single item in your space. I will leave a booth if nothing is priced. I always feel like the seller is sizing me up as to what they think I will pay plus if it is too expensive then I end up feeling embarrassed for even asking. I once had a vendor say those exact words to me..."If you have to ask...you can't afford it"! I understand tags will pop off, especially at outdoor shows, but make an effort to place prices on everything. Your customers will really appreciate it!
- I love going into spaces and stores where displays are over the top, but when it really is "over the top" and I can't reach it...well, you know. Again, I will have to ask the price because either I can't see it or I can't get it down. Keep this in mind when creating display masterpieces...some of us are vertically challenged and cannot get to the top of your pyramid without the fear of bringing it all down on top of us.
- Don't ignore me, but please, for gosh sakes...don't hover either. I don't know which is worse...having to wait to be acknowledged OR being treated like a potential shop lifter. Don't shadow my every step and in your eagerness to make a sale, don't drive me away with oversell! I know it is a fabulous piece or I wouldn't be looking at it in the first place. Don't give me some long drawn out story (unless I ask about the provenance) and PLEASE don't try and sell me everything in your booth!
- Which brings me back to ignoring me. I may not look like I have pot to p#%* in or window to throw it out of, but some of the richest people I know don't either. Every person who steps into your spaces deserves to be treated like a millionaire whether they buy anything or not. They might be back and spend that million with you later!
- Please do not ever be found guilty of talking about other vendors (or anyone for that matter) while customers are in your booth. It's unprofessional and totally uncalled for. Shoppers tend to judge all of us by what they see and hear...let's not give them any ammunition! Besides, we live in the south...you never know when you might be talking about their relatives!
- Keep it clean! Unless you're dealing with a "regular" customer who you know won't be offended, don't let loose with a new "joke" or a string of words you picked up at the "It'll Do" bar!
- Keep your personal beliefs and opinions just that...personal! Fight that undeniable urge to spout off about what you think and don't think. Everyone has a viewpoint, so don't start thinking you can change someone else's...all you'll be changing is their minds about shopping with you!
- Never! Ever! Never! come into my tent and try and "steal" a customer. Just because they are looking for an apple crate and you just happen to have one does not give you permission to talk up your space while in mine. If I don't have what they want, believe me, I'm going to direct them to someone who might. If you've got one and have behaved yourself, yours is the booth I'll be sending them to!
- Finally smile! A smile goes a long way and by the way, so does a little courtesy. Take that time to make the customer feel like they are more than just a sale. Who knows? You might just make a friend along the way. How about that for a win/win situation?
Friday, September 11, 2009
- By all means, offer me 50% off what the price is WHILE I'm unloading it. We schlepped it all the way down here, just so you could get a heck of a bargain...that's what we're here for!
- Of course I don't mind answering all your questions about a certain piece just so you can find out what you have at home is worth. That's what we're here for!
- Be sure and bring all your negative friends, so they can talk you out of your heart's desire AFTER you've negotiated a great deal! That's what they're there for!
- Please feel free to allow your children to sit on the upholstered pieces in my tent while enjoying a Big Gulp! That's what they're here for!
- You'd like to leave your trash lying on my furniture? Be my guest! That's what it's brought for!
- I'll gladly gather up all the empty beer bottles you left in my tent and put them in the trash for you. Not a problem...that's what I'm here for!
- Of course I'll hold a piece of furniture a couple of days for you to make up your mind on. That's what we're here for!
- Is that your car parked in the loading zone? Of course you can leave it there blocking the way. That's what it's there for!
- Do I object to you wearing a bikini while shopping? Of course not...that's what Cat Daddy's here for!
- Can you leave a piece to be picked up on Sunday after we close? Be my guest...We just won't be there for you!
I hope you all realize this was written very tongue in cheek and is in no way a reflection on y'all. This is just some of the things that come up during the show and I thought I would share them...like I say...some things just can't be made up!
One thing is for sure...you are all welcome to come by and see us whether you're shopping or just schmoozing. We are looking forward to visiting with each and every one of you...and by all means...have a seat...that IS what it's there for!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
- Sweet Texas T at Garden Antiques...y'all know where to find her and the blog party!
- Lilly at Junk Palace....she'll be selling out for the first time at Texas Rose!
- Maggie at The Veranda....she'll be returning to the Texas Rose with a bang!
Wait a minute...that's not right. I only count five! Oh yeah...last, but not least, Margo at Ruff/Robolady isn't going to be at our shows, BUT she will be leaving in seven days for a special event herself. She will be traveling to The Junk Bonanza September 17th! She's working just as hard as possible, getting ready to be a celebrity there and represent Texas junkers!
So there is my six...count 'em six...pack of queens! Check 'em out if you haven't visited their blogs before and be sure and check us all out if you get to come to the show! We'd love to meet y'all. Don't forget STT's blog party on Sunday the 27th at 6:00p.m. at her tent in front of Zapp Hall. We'll all be there wearing our crowns!
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Monday, September 7, 2009
Friday, September 4, 2009
When I told him what I had in mind for our tent this year, he went into hunt mode. He found and bought these wonderful shipping crates for me. Time will tell if I will be able to pull off what I have in this old noggin of mine. Y'all will have to let me know later if my mission was accomplished!