Thursday, August 21, 2014

Antiques 101

First order of business...
 
I'm not going to apologize for not blogging since Hector was a pup...nor will I offer any explanations as to the whys of my extended AWOL.  Life happens.  Especially when one suddenly has an ol' tom (Translation: a retired Cat Daddy) hanging around the back door caterwauling to beat the band.  New rules have to come into play before I get to play.
 
One thing I have been up to my armpits in alligators is preparing for The Greatest Show on DirtY'all have heard me pi$$ and moan prattle on talk about how much goes into doing a show of this size ad nauseam, so I'm not even gonna start to bore you with a repeat performance of my own brand of caterwauling.  What I will say is Oh Mylanta!
 
(
(Inside Zapp Hall Spring 2014, poster courtesy of Zapp Hall Antique Show)
 
What we're bringing to Antique Week is probably the most unique load we've ever had and probably the most expensive load we've ever had to pay for.  For the record...I'm not bragging...law no!  Putting aside our pride and vanity of the mantra go big or go home, we gave up our big tent and chose to downsize our space by moving inside Zapp Hall.  I truly believe this was acccording to God's plan and because we listened and obeyed, He has led us to things we would never have found left to our own devices.  By downsizing our space, He allowed us to upsize our merchandise. We've ate a lot of beans and taters to pay for putting this inventory together, but for the first time in a long time, I can honestly say...I cannot wait to get there and see it all together.
 
Which brings us to the topic of day.
 

                                  (Zapp Hall Spring 2014, photo courtesy of Give Me Props)
 
"How to keep it fresh when it's going stale."
 
The man and I ventured into the antique business in the late 80's, which doesn't sound all that long until you calculate the years...25+.  During this time, we've seen a lot of comings and goings in the business. We've seen the sales of cookie jars and lunch boxes pay for college educations, Beanie Babies bought, sold and traded in a frenzy to match the NYSE and Fire-King Jade-ite soar through the roof, simply because Martha said "It's a good thing".
 
(Photo courtesy of Give Me Props)
 
With an abundance of reference books like Kovell's, anyone...with enough time, patience and willingness...could learn to recognize and price antique glassware, furniture, primitives, etc.
 
For the first 15-20 years or so, we watched as shoppes opened left and right. Antique malls were booming.  Shows like the Red Barn, Zapp Hall and others had waiting lists of folks just itching to get in.
 
(Photo courtesy of Give Me Props)
 
I have to admit, it was a heady time.  Never knowing what long forgotten treasure the next garage sale or auction held kept us on the prowl.  There was an abundance of merchandise just ripe for the picking and always at a great price because those who weren't in the business couldn't have cared less if Aunt Hortense's worn friendship quilt was going to keep me in groceries for a month. To them it was just used and worn out old stuff.  But then along came PBS with Antiques Roadshow and suddenly, everybody was an expert and their crap complete set of Dallas Cowboys glasses was worth at least a gazillion dollars...maybe more!
 
(Photo courtesy of Give Me Props. Jennifer will be at Zapp Hall for opening weekend Sept. 26-28th only. If anyone is interested in having her photograph their space, please contact Jenn on her Face Book page to schedule an appointment.)
 
That one show...and the copycats that followed...changed the rules forever.  It also required us,  as curators of the old, to change as well...which albeit convoluted...is the point of this post.
 
(Photo courtesy of  you know who!)
 
For those of y'all who are new to the business or are thinking about diving in, I was thinking maybe I could share what I've gleaned from my years of being a Ye Olde Keeper of the Krap and perhaps help you avoid some of the moats I fell into over the years.
 
What say ye?
 
Yay or Nay?
 
(Photo courtesy of Give Me Props. All styling done by moi!)
 
I must warn you, I am quite the gasbag and when I get really wound up...well you know!  And if you find yourself trapped in my seemingly endless tail tale wind?  Well then...don't say I didn't warn you.
 
 
(Feel free to pin any of my images. All I ask in return is please be sure and give credit to Give Me Props as photographer. Thanks so much!)
  
 

14 comments:

donna baker said...

All the above, and whoever thought primitives would become passe. I have tons of them left. They were my first antique loves and guess they will be the last. Treasures all to me, but my kids don't want any of them.

Lisa Love Harris said...

Deb--you and your sweet Cat Daddy are such inspirations...you two are what it's all REALLY about--heart and soul. I've been in this business a long time too and what it boils down to is following your heart, making a few $$ and following your heart. Y'all have it down to an art. Hope y'all have a fabulous show and "sell to the dirt!"

trash talk said...

Thanks girl! Sure gonna miss seeing your sweet smile this show!

trash talk said...

Not to worry Donna. Primitives are one of the few things that never lose their ability to captivate shoppers...especially with the farm house style that's now so popular.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Good morning from the US mainland! It's 3:45 a.m. and I'm suffering from jet lag for Day 2!

Good to see you back, and see you busy! Keeps us young, eh?

Lovely images. I enjoyed seeing what you've been up to! MISSED YOU!

Hugs and happy weekend,
Kelley~

Beth Leintz said...

Can't wait to hear more of the gospel of antiques from a Zapp Hall legend. Write on, I'll be reading!

holli said...

Preach on Sister about the ways of junking!! a big yay yay yay and horse poop to anyone that says Nay. I for one have taken every nugget of advice and stored it in my capsule of knowledge. Hopefully soon, I can open it up and put the lesson to use.

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

Can't wait to see what schmancy stuff you might bring! Alas, I cannot make it until spring so keep on keeping on!

It's strange to me seeing your "inside booth"!

XOX

Sisters Treasures said...

Amen, Sister and I too say, "Preach on"! I love lapping up your wisdom and laughing and nodding in agreement and sometimes dabbing a tear when I read your wise words. I'm Ready for your next chapter.
Betsy

Laura said...

Keep talking!
Selling at Round Top with my daughters is on my bucket list but there is so much I don't know. (Don't tell my husband I admitted that!)

Love to you and yours-

LB

Bliss said...

So you've come in to the shed. I just know that's code for something fitting for middle life.

April Pizana said...

You have such a gift for the written word! I loved reading your story and I loved your candidness. Can't wait to visit y'all at Zapp!

Gracie's Cottage said...

Can't wait to read what you have to say... and to see pics of this next show!!

Jan

Bohemian said...

Congrats on downsizing yet upgrading... I am certain it will be Epic! Dawn... The Bohemian