Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pot Calling the Kettle Verdigris

I wrote a post yesterday and besides being really long, it was...if I say so myself...really clever.  For instance, I had wrote...and I quote... the last three great inventions I personally had witnessed were pantyhose, push up bras and air conditioning, but y'all will never get to read the rest of it.
 
Why you ask?
 
Because I shelved it.
 
Again you ask, why?
 
Because it was about the pros and cons of Facebook.
 
Man alive, I was on fire, ranting and raving about the pits and perils of FB'ing with way more cons than pros.

It was a pip!
 
But as I was proofing it, would you believe it...my spellcheck quit working.  Now I'm not one to turn in homework half done so I stepped away to let my computer...and me...cool down.
 
After a while, I sat back down and reread what I wrote and guess what?
 
I made myself angry!
 
How dare I take it upon myself to tell people what they should or should not do when it comes to Facebook.  How dare I take it upon myself to be Her Supreme High Horse...a self-appointed judge, censor and all around know-it-all?
 
If I had hit publish, y'all I would have been just as guilty as those people on Facebook I was criticizing for thinking they knew best.
 
Simply put...I'm nobody's boss and I don't own an answer bag.  A red.neck Chic bag...yes, but a bag with all the answers to life's questions...no.



If I truly was the Grand Poobah of knowledge, trust me,  I wouldn't be sitting in a tiny house still in my pajamas nor would I be schlepping junk around for a living and shopping at TJ Maxx.
 
Instead, I'd be traveling the countryside on a lecture tour, dressed to the nines, wearing a tasselled fez and getting paid a butt-load of money for sharing my wisdom on how to succeed at life!
 
So no, I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus. Y'all have the right to publish, share and say anything you want...fact checked or not (but oh how I wish...).  I am not the FB police and there is no gold badge pinned to my pushup bra'd bosom to say otherwise.
 
From now on, if I happen to be on FB and read or see something I don't necessarily agree with or like, I'll just discreetly scroll by it. No where is there a law written saying I have to do differently. For me, it's just that simple.
 
BTW...did you happen to notice I said if?
 
I ask because it's an important if.
 
SQUIRREL ALERT!!!
 
You might want to get comfortable or take a potty break right about now 'cause I'm fixing to talk the ears off a billy goat!

(Don't ask me where I found this. It was so long ago I don't remember, but if you know the source, please let me know!) 
 
When I signed on to Facebook I had hoped to reconnect with old friends and make new ones...and I have. I've even been blessed to be reunited with family I hadn't talked to in years. What I hadn't planned on was the green eyed monster becoming a frequent guest as well, but I'm only human...and a girl human at that. And let's face it ladies...we are our own worst enemy when it comes to feelings of inadequacy.

(By the by...do all these words make my butt look big?)
 
A daily bombardment of perfect families, perfect homes, perfect lives...not to mention perfect makeup...well how on God's green earth was I supposed to measure up?
 
Sometimes I'd see photos of projects and all the "likes" and comments that would pour in and I'd think whoa Nelly. Didn't I see that idea somewhere else like a hundred years ago and yet, they have the audacity to take full credit for it? Really? Is that the way to get noticed...by stealing someone's ideas? But as the old saying goes...not my circus, not my monkeys...which I will readily admit to stealing from an old Polish proverb.
 
(Have I ever mentioned I can't remember your name seconds after meeting you, but I can remember who did or said what first forever? It's a glitch in the ol' brain waves y'all and a curse!)
 
Reading success story after success story on shows and knowing the shows we were doing weren't nearly so profitable left me thinking I was doing something wrong.
 
Don't get me wrong. I was happy for those who were achieving their goals, but truth be told, I was jealous as hell well.  I found myself questioning myself...and the answers I came up with weren't flattering.
 
But then I had an epiphany.
 
What if, contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to be true to be on the Internet.

One word...wow!
 
Now I'm not about to start calling anyone a liar. Law no! Remember, I'm not the Grand Poobah, but rather a chubby lady who tries to see the whole picture and not just the photo shopped one.
 
We all want to put our best face forward and to that end, we all tend to spin things just a smidge...including me twirling her tassel! Well...maybe some spinning more than just a smidge and by more, I mean creating a whole new identity in Bizarro World.
 
So maybe, just maybe, all these perfect people aren't so perfect after all.
 
And maybe, just maybe, they think anything less than perfect is not worthy to share.
 
What if maybe, just maybe, they're not trying to convince me, but themselves life has to be one big ol' perfect and pretty photo.
 
But the thing is that even with this realization, I still find myself going Kermit from time to time. So I've come to this conclusion.
 
I'm a flat tire in dire need of changing and the first thing I need to do is remove the rusty lugnuts keeping me from rolling forward.

(I'm going in!) 
Henceforth, (I know...very GB sounding isn't it?)...ahem...henceforth, the everyday comings and goings (you know...the boring stuff) of Debbie and Danny will be the only things I'll be posting on my personal page.  I'll still be sharing my brain farts as they come and go, but anything related to antiques, markets, Cat Daddy appearances and the continuing misadventures of the Ups...Floozied and Hurriet of As The Wheel Turns fame...will now be posted on my business page, Talking Trash.
 
Henceforth, if you send me a friend request, unless I know one of the following, I'll probably redirect you to my business page.
 
1. Your significant other's name.
2. At least one of your kid's names.
3. Your dog/pet's name.
4. We actually have met at some point in time.

(Of course, #4 will require you to remind me...for as Jenn says "I'll meet you today...and I'll meet you tomorrow!")
 
If we are blessed to meet in real time, hit it off and if you don't mind looking at photos of me and mine puttering through life...gravy stains and all...then you can bet your boots you will be my friend forever and not just on Facebook!

Jealousy and fear are stagnating. I refuse to be a prisoner of either and I think it's time to use my get out of jail free card.

It's a start.

Besides...I never did look good in green.
 
 

6 comments:

holli said...

I love you and I will "like" and follow in page you have. It is hard not to compare to everyones sunny life everyday but its also good to know that there are real people out there too. I have crappy days and I've posted that i'm having a crappy day. I do believe some people do tend to stretch the truth a tidge on FB.
No your butt doesn't look big from those big words. What is Gb though? I got confused which doesn't take much. LOL

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Always love seeing a post from you and all I can say is...Amen!!

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

Guilty as charged! I always throw the pics up that mke me appear to be cuter then I am...lol! Although you have met me in the flesh....wearing the very outfit in my profile pic cause it was the night I met you and Cat Daddy! I don't care if you remember my name...Hell, I forget my self....true story! My coworker will tell you...She's a Sherri...not Sheri but I took it upon my self to steal her last name when I answered the phone one day....I have a facebook for family....and a facebook for the teeny bit of selling thatI do.

Let me reintroduce myself.....long time ago..I ws the Pawsh Poodle....and a few things in between...now I am back to stay as.."The Vintage Vagablonde"....Sheri Tate to friends and Family...you....can call me whatever you like. I have followed your ups and downs...
.and I love you even more today!

Lily's Lace said...

Now do I have to admit, in public that we're friends? Well okey dokey then. Hey I know we're friends because I sent you 3 count them, 3 postcards from Paris!!! Miss ya-xoxoxo

Bohemian said...

The Land of Blog could sometimes make me Wonder similar things... because when I first entered The Land, I thought everything was Real! *LOL* The Panoramic Scenes of perfectly kept Homes that allegedly had Men and Kids and Fur Babies romping around in them too... but which looked nothing like the Chaos at the Ole' Homestead where my Images had to mostly be Close-Ups so that you couldn't see the carnage and mayhem all around it! *winks* I would also hear about all these perfect Children and think, why have I never had a perfect Child {G-Child}... and are mine then some kind of mutated demon spawn that are an anomaly of Nature? *Bwahahahahaha* Then... after cultivating Real Relationships with Real People who happen to Live in The Land as much as I do, I realized many of us were making the same unfair comparisons and having Wild Imaginings that everything Presented wasn't Staged but was like this all of the time twenty four seven and three hundred sixty five! *Smiles* Foolish Souls that we were... the Epiphany and the Truth set us Free! Great Post... and it caused me to update my FB Profile pix so it wasn't one taken a decade ago lookin' nothing like I appear now! *Bwahahahahahahahaha!* Dawn... The Bohemian

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I'm just now getting around to seeing this and all I can say is you are a very wise person my friend. Love this post as I do all the others and of course love you and CD too :)