Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Jumping Outta My Seat Saying Encore, Encore!

Y'all know how much I love my Zapp Hall family and you also know how much I love talking.  Seems like the two are a match made in heaven, so I thought it only fittin' to share a coupla made in heaven marriages with y'all today.  Let's call it a fairy tale within a fairy tale...what'd ya say?

Once upon a time (as legend has it), a handsome, little, long-legged boy from Arkansas met a pretty, little, curly-headed girl from Texas.  The years pass and the little boy and girl get married.  From this union, they produced two offsprings that were the light of their lives.  Little did they know, these two baby girls would grow up to be famous or that the celebrity these little girls would achieve would be a result of the best kind of upbringing.  All the values they held as naturally as breathing would be instilled in their daughters with their positive outlook on life, love, and work being the compass to the little girls' adult lives.  To dream big, believe in yourself, have faith, laugh, and work hard...really hard...really, really hard...would be the traits they passed on...not just curly hair or long legs. 

(I could put "and they lived happily ever after" in right about now, but that would be just half the story...besides...I ain't outta words...yet!)

The years continue to pass and what starts out as a small family business in junking, keeps getting bigger and bigger, eclipsing even Janie and the girls' dreams of what could be.  Their name and look becomes synonymous with rowdiness while tapping into the secret yearning residing  in all of us to be gypsies.  Wild, untamed and totally rebels with a cause...'cause the Gypsys said we could fly if we dared!  In going about their business while minding their own, they redefined style while defying the rules.
(HGTV tent at Zapp Hall)

It was only a matter of time before the powers-that-be realized this family was a goldmine tailored made for television.  Lucky HGTV for spotting this opportunity and grabbing it...and smart.

This union between HGTV and The Junk Gypsys will be a new reality series debuting in March 2012.

I KNOW!

Finally...a real show about real junkers doing it for real...complete with dirt, bruises, and heart!

(Please make a note of how one is supposed to wear shorts with boots when junking.  Also pay close attention to the work gloves.  These two aren't sissies or fools.)

SQUIRREL ALERT!!!

I've known this family a long, long time.  I've seen first hand the work and hours they put in.  I've seen 'em clean and dolled up...and I've seen 'em dirty, sweaty and looking like the rest of us...only somehow much prettier.  I know they work from sun-up 'til sundown.  Whatever it takes to get it done...they do.  If one is down for the count, someone in the family is there to pick up the slack. 

Nothing worth having in this life comes easy and if you're thinking it did for them...wrong!  They've been busy plowing their fields to be ready when God said it's time to plant...and now they are about to enjoy a bountiful harvest from the fruits of their labors.

If you're also thinking I'm guilty of name dropping...you are so right.  Junk Gypsy is a name I'll gladly drop over and over...not because of the fame attached to it...but because of  the friendship we share.  I want everyone to know of their new success because it represents the success of every one who takes pride in what they do, having the faith to dream, and for not sitting on one's duff waiting for things to happen.

It's for never stepping on others to reach a goal, but mainly it's for never forgetting what matters most in life...family.

As Jolie so aptly put it...for never losing your soul in the process and for knowing that it and family are the two most prized (and sometimes coveted) possessions.

To my way of thinking...this is gonna be a landmark show.  Real people doing real work and smiling not at the cameras, but at life...theirs.

They will be taking all the lessons learned at their mom and dad's knees and passing it on to their own little ones...continuing the family tradition.  How on earth could America not fall in love with this family?

(In the interest of full disclosure...I shamelessly stole borrowed all but one of these photos from the Gypsyville blog....with their kind permission...of course!)

There's nothing contrived about this family.  They do love junk...they do love each other...and they do love what they do.  In doing so honestly and humbly...life has no choice but to love them back...abundantly!

Janie and Phillip proudly own the bragging rights to their girls, but heck...we at Zapp are pretty darn proud of 'em too!  In fact...most of us at the greatest show on dirt think of them as our girls as well.
I've We at Zapp have been privileged to have a front row seat to watch as the legend grew, beginning in 1987 and with that first prom way back in 2004.

We've seen the crowd go from a few to thousands.  We've seen the Today show filming it.  We've seen the press and magazine articles.  We've seen 'em go from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye...never losing their passion or drive. 
We've seen them add to the family tree and to think it all started with a little, long-legged, Arkansas boy and a little, curly headed Texas girl!

WHEW!
So I think I need to say thank you to HGTV for seeing what we've been saying all along.  These girls were born to be stars...big ol' Texas stars!

Is this marriage of the century?  It may just be!

Will y'all have to wait until March 2012 to find out?

No...just set your DVR (or yourself in a comfy chair) for a sneak peek November 27th and then let me know.

One thing I already know.

And they lived happily ever after!

JOLIE and AMIE proving...


The End?

Not hardly!!!

16 comments:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

OH-MY-LANTA (who famously says this, you know), this is a G-R-E-A-T Post about an awesome family. So super happy for them, they deserve it. And, in response to your comment, I remember the day you so proudly told me of your blog...so glad you jumped in, both feet and all!!!

DearHelenHartman said...

What a fun and encouraging story! I am SO fed up with Fake Reality! With people who clearly don't love junk and vintage and salvaging and repurposing holding forth on how to buy/sell/decorate with it. Will be on the look out for the show and... love your blog!

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Oh Deb I'm with Theresa....This is a GREAT buncha words about a WONDERFUL Family....!!!!!

I've watched the Junk Gypsy promo on Youtube numerous times 'cause they're just so MUCH FUN to watch & I was THRILLED to finally get to meet them when you took me over to their tent....How GORGEOUS & GRACIOUS were they when they were obviously under the pump....!!!!!

If for some reason I can't get my hands on the HGTV show 'down here' Deb would you consider taping the show for me....?? I could pay you in WAGON WHEELS....hahahahaha....!!!!!

Hope you're both having a FABULOUS Lovey....!

Cheers for now,
Tamarah :o)

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

BUGGER....That SHOULD read:

I hope you're both having a FABULOUS week....!!!!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

oh, this is SO cool. will you be doing a "cameo" appearance? remind us again of the preview date! xoxo

LuLu Kellogg said...

I sure do hope you and CD will do a guest appearance!!

It was wonderful to read about this family! I have some of their shirts from their website and LOVE them!

I am sure this family loves you just as much as you love them. How couldn't they? I know how much I do :)

We don't have cable where I live so I hope to see this on Youtube!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Gayle said...

Yup!! Love them!
I too hope you remind us of the preview date, although I just made myself a sticky note reminder and put it on my computer screen. Great post Miss Deb!!

Pent-Up Photos said...

Awww! This is such a sweet tribute! I feel so lucky to be neighbors with this wonderful family at the Zapp Hall Antique Show. Good people with down-to-earth egos! Doesn't get much better than that! LOVE that photo of grandparents and grandkids. Just wonderful!

Mal

outjunking said...

Looking forward to the show and adventure.
Lisa

Bohemian said...

What a Great Story about an amazing Family who have followed their Passion & Dreams and to that end have found Bliss and Success... I'm so happy for them! Can't wait for the Show... I know it will be one I shall eagerly follow and look forward to.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Whoo-hoo, I can't wait!!!!! I'll have to mark my calendar for November 27th!!!

xxoo
Marsha

Carole said...

Can't wait for this new show.......thanks for letting us know.

Xx
C

red.neck chic said...

Well crap. You've got me balling over here. LOVE this post! I'm so proud of these girls - they deserve every blessing coming their way - and all that will follow. They truly are inspirational...

and now I'm going for a kleenex. geesh...

;-D xoxo
robelyn

Olive said...

Dear Lord in Heaven we just cancelled our TV. Maybe I can see the show online? Good for them and their hard work.

The Kramer Angle said...

Looking forward to having a reason to watch Hgtv again!

Gai

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Deb this is just beautiful!
I'm so proud too and I just know them through reading their blog and from what their Zapp family shares too!
I'm looking forward to watching them for many seasons to come!