Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Can't Get A Word In Edgewise?

I hope everyone is in the mood for a little chit-chatting 'cause I'm feeling mighty talkative tonight. I first wanted to share with y'all some exciting news coming down the pike. Val at the Red Shed sent me this information on an upcoming fall event that y'all are just gonna love.

The Creative Connection is going to be held in Minneapolis Minnesota, September 16, 17, and 18. The Who's Who list of women ( including our very own Red Shed Girls!) involved are, for a lack of a better term, Rock Stars in our world. You've got to go here and read for yourself (while you're over there, be sure and check out the contest going on...insert big ol' dreamy sigh here!) and fire up the old brain cells to make plans to attend. Psst! It just happens that The Junk Bonanza will be taking place during that same time period and is only a hop, skip and a jump away! Be sure and see Val about travel arrangements to that. I'm sure it will book fast...so don't be lollygagging.

Next order of business....Anne just did a post asking what she, as a virgin vendor, needed to take to do the Big Show besides stuff to sell. Theresa did a fabulous post on what shoppers needed to bring, but I don't know if anyone has touched on hints for first time sellers, so I thought I'd help out.

Some things are a given like snacks, water, sunscreen...the same things shoppers need, but when it comes to being in the middle of a cow field, setting up shop for nine days...that's a whole different set of needs. Here is Part I of my survival guide to selling at the Big Show.

  1. I always pack my entire closet. You never know when it's going to be colder than who'd a thought it or hotter than a firecracker. There is wind, rain...heck, we've seen ice! Don't believe for one minute you can run to Walmart and get a sweater or raincoat 'cause everybody has the same idea and the next thing you know...you're parading around in a trash bag...and proud to have it.
  2. Bring bling and lots of it. No self respecting Texas girl goes out without something shiny...even when setting up. You've heard that song "I Got Spurs That Jingle, Jangle, Jingle"? We ladies like to jingle too...I said jingle...not jiggle! Can't do that unless you bring the ammunition. I pack a separate suitcase just for my artillery!
  3. Starting out, you'll need a lot of small bills for making change, but before the show is over...hopefully...you'll look like you're getting ready to go to ladies night at the La Bare! Be sure and pack something to keep that money safely in. I've heard tales of purses being left in restaurants, in tents...even in the porta-potties...so plan on being your own Brinks.
  4. Receipt books and pens are a must. Pens have a way of wandering off, never to be seen again and receipt books are great for keeping track of sales. Not every customer wants one, but it sure makes it easier come tax time.
  5. Speaking of tax time...be sure and bring your tax resale certificate. We have had visitors (and you know who I mean...da da da da-a-a!) from Austin checking the numbers...so Caveat Venditor. I've been dying to use that term!
  6. Anything you were using in the way of tags, stickers, rock, paper, scissors, glue, etc. when preparing to come down, bring. This also includes hammer, nails, glue gun, stapler, etc. Plenty of pretty paper and sacks are a must...although I have been known to use a grocery sack in my time if I ran out of the pretty stuff!
  7. Any and all medications you think you might need. Don't leave home without 'em...and that includes liniment and Epsom's salts for all the aches and pains!
  8. If you can fit it in...you might as well throw in the kitchen sink, but the one thing that is a must...a good attitude. Pack a smile and plan on a good time. Customers are there to shop, but they are also there to laugh. Provide them with that and I guarantee you'll have return shoppers.

Anne, I hoped this helped and I'll get Part II put together before we leave for the Mother Ship...how's that?

Last up...(I warned y'all I was feeling vocal)...Bella's Blessing Giveaway (thanks Debra). Tonight Jenn is adding a tussy mussy just like the ones she is making for party favors for the Bella-Da-Ball! Aren't they precious? Y'all know I didn't get brushed with any artistic talent, but thank goodness, my baby girl did. She's my go-to when I need something cute and I think these are Fab U Lous. One is going into the overflowing gift box tonight. BTW, this is the fabric that is used in Bella's room. Isn't it just 2die4? We're getting close to the big day and I'll be doing a recap of everything Jenn is giving away to make sure there is 12 gifts in all. At this point...I am so tired I don't know what day it is, so obviously I don't know what count I'm on. Trust me...there will be 12 or I'll give you 100% off anything at my tent at Zapp...or Cat Daddy...your choice, but only if I miscount! I think that's a wrap for tonight and as much as I love the sound of my own voice...I'll hush now so y'all can get back to watching American Idol!

27 comments:

FILIGREE MOON said...

Such a sweet tussie mussie! Hugs to all, and an extra one for Bella! ~ Angela

Sue said...

You rock Debbie when it comes to promoting everyone and everything. I've got my fav girls picked out: Lilly, Crystal, and Siobhan. The boys, still not too sure. I like that a little Aaron,and I think the other one is Alex and don't remember the name of third. I'm going to pay better attention tonight!
Take care, Sue

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

You are somthin girlie! What a post! I REALLLLLLLLY tried to be able to get there for this show. Oh what a heartache I can't make it. PLease feel sorry (no pride what.so.ever) for me because I am sick about missing it. It has been a goal forever for me to get there and I was THIS CLOSE! UGH!! Severe pouting in NC!
Sell Out Bay~be!!
Beth

the gypsy chick said...

Guess where I'm headed this weekend. Yep, going to the BIG DFW to see mama & heading out to the Funky Finds. Are you going? If not then I hope to see you at T's blog party! This time I'll grab the drinks since someone drank mine before I got there... :P

Anonymous said...

you are adoll..a sassy Texas doll!!!
thanks for all of the heads up linkys for the fall and great advice for the newbies for the spring!!
vintagegirl

Bonnie said...

Fun post Debbie. Makes me wish I lived out your way to take part in the fun.

Bonnie

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

Deb, good call on the last one. Too often, I'm too spazzy to bring some positive energy, which is why I stopped doing shows (until last weekend). I get too stressed..... In TX, however, it's all about fun and smiles and laughter..... can't WAIT! XOX I'm making a beeline for YOU ad CD.

Preemie Donna said...

No need to bring bling you can always buy tons of that when you get to the show

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Jenn is so talented! That tussy mussy is so cute!!! Daphne

sassytrash said...

Great 411! Looks like I probably won't make it to TX either, but I sure hope you do fantastic! The few of us NOT in TX for the show will be anxiously awaiting your pics and posts!

David said...

Great tips! I don't think there's room in the trailer for the kitchen sink, but we'll strap it on the top!

Anne Lorys said...

Debbie, you are the mostest wonderful person EVER!!! Thank you SO much for posting this, it's like an answer to prayer for me! :-)

I've got a great big old hug for you and CD when I get there.

See you on the Mother Ship!

XOXO,
Anne

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

Oh Debbie, I do so wish I could be there with "alla y'all". Been a long time since this misplaced Texas said that! I went to Round Top/Warrenton once and thought I had died and gone to heaven. And that was 15 years ago. I'm sure its only gotten more heavenly. Someday, I hope to darken your booth and we can talk Texan in person!

You and Cat Daddy have a good one,
Judy

Pam @ Frippery said...

My Sis in Law Diana and I are seriously considering Crafty Connection. It ain't Texas but I can get there without flying! I still intend to get to the mother of all sales someday, just not in the budget right now. I am heading to Jen's now. I have gotten sooo out of the loop lately. PS My hubs and I love Dixie Chicken! He's a big Little Feat fan.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Well, I've fallen on the floor kicking and screaming about getting to this honkin' show, but it doesn't seem to be doing me any good. If it weren't tax time I might be able to talk my husband into it...but alas, someone here must work for a living, rats. So you know what that means, I'm depending on all of you to have great photos! OK, I'll quit complaining and say once again how excited I am for Bonnie Bella to turn 1! I know you all will be celebratin' the roof off!
big squeezy hugs,
Debra

red.neck chic said...

duct tape. DUCT TAPE! How come nobody mentions the duct tape?!!? good thing you have me... and you do. have me. ;-)

Jenn's a busy busy girl... so fun and talented!!!

Now - I'm going to pack my duct tape... I don't think I've ever been this far behind - how busy are you right now?

;-) xoxo
robelyn

Lauri Evans said...

I remember you told me if I can't see your jewelry from a mile away, it aint big enough!!!!!! Words to live by. See you real soon, and if you miscount or not, I want Cat Daddy. In case you were wondering.......lauri Your little honey baked ham

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I just wish Texas was CLOSER to me!! Artillery! LOVE THAT! I know it will be a ball!!! "Colder than who would have thought it" love that too!!!

So jealous I can't go!!

Happy Happy Bella Bash!!!

Lou Cinda :)

Anonymous said...

You are a well-prepared woman!

Unknown said...

I am so excited for you and your family! Imagine that little bundle of cuteness turning ONE!

What a good idea to put up some pointers for fist time sellers. And ladies, that list could be used for any kind of show anywhere. I used to do a lot of shows and wish someone had given me a 'sellers bible' when I started.
You Go Girl!
Tami E.

The Flying Bee said...

I love this list! Can't wait to see you! Oh, and Jen is so darn talented! Love it!

Hugs,
Adrienne

DEBBIE BELL said...

Deb...I have missed you so! And ..I would rather read you than watch A.I. You also make me wanna go to this place called Zapp Hall in Texas..& sell STUFF!! Lord I was making a list in my head..of my own stuff..& lots of hubbys stuff..& I've never been or sold anything except in a garage sale!! lol Its always fun to read ya sweets..puts a smile on ma face every time! Maybe one of these days I can come to Texas..who knows? Jen & baby Bella are dolls right there with ya!!
lol I am still laughing:)
Hugs..
Deb:)

Anne Lorys said...

Ha! I just back and re-read it, love that you called me a virgin! Yes, I am 3. ;-)

Anne

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

You are the go to girl! You mentioned all that needs to be brought to the shows but one last thing I found to add to your list is gingersnap cookies, yes ma'am. It's the best cure if your stomach is little upset and chalky stuff is just gross, but these cookies do the trick everytime! They are also pretty good even if you don't need them. Can't wait to see you and CD and can you believe Bella is a year old!!

lulu redstar said...

Sending birthday wishes as well as good selling wishes to you...Should you need more bling..who ya gonna call? ME! I will be in Texas in spirit...love you.
xo
Your OTHER Georgia Honey Baked Ham

Unknown said...

Sheesh, all kinds of good advice and tips in this post!!! I'm sure Anne very much appreciates your help! As for me, you can write just about anything and make it funny, so I always enjoy my visit no matter what you're talking about {I meant that as a total compliment...if it came out wrong :)}

Good luck preparing for the big show!!!

:) T

Rebecca said...

Hey Debbie
This all sounds so exciting and you are funny, girl.
I am finally going this year!!! Insert happy dance... can't wait to meet all of you! I will bring my wallet as small as it is and can't wait!
Blessings to Bella and Jen's tussy mussy is fabulous.
Blessings
Rebecca