Friday, March 12, 2010

Dear Bella,

One year ago, we were blessed with your birth...maybe just a little too soon, but a blessing none the less. Where time seemed to stand still while you were in the hospital, it now seems to be flying by. I wanted to tell you today on your first birthday so much that I don't even know where to begin. When your sweet mother...my baby girl...first went into the hospital, the doctors didn't hold much hope, but she always did. Through God's favor and grace, you were born at 23 weeks and 4 days and surprised the doctors with your first tiny breath. From the first, all the caregivers remarked at what a fighter you were. Why wouldn't you be? Your mother was and still is. She refused to listen to all the negativity and held on to God's promise to see her (and you) safely through the fire. This first year has been a privilege to witness. I have watched you in a tiny glass castle...then held you in my arms for the first time in awe of the miracle that you are. I have seen lines, tubes, machines and heard the hums and beeps of monitors to the place where we are now...where the only sounds are your giggles, gurgles and an occasional wail and the only thing attached to your precious face are your unique dimples and a pacifier.

You my darling, hold so many hearts in your tiny fist, starting with mine. I do not know what the future holds for you. You can and will be so many things beginning with the delight of your parents, but I won't think on that now. That is for another day far in the future. Instead I'll concentrate on the now...this day...this minute. You are as you should be...as God designed you...perfect.

That we would have been allowed the honor of seeing His work day in and day out is overwhelming. To see your eyelashes appear, then toe and finger nails. To watch you plump out where there had only been skin with a myriad of veins visible to you now...our precious Sta-Puff girl. To the joy each ounce brought to us...to see you go from 15 ounces to 15 pounds and the victory of God's promise. Your name means God's promise and He has fulfilled that promise and so much more. To hear the first little sound you made to the first time you found your voice to the constant chatter that is you. I will delight in the first time I hear you say Nana or whatever you choose to call me. It's been a roller coaster of a ride my sweet girl, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

In just a few short hours, I'll be watching you try to eat cake and laughing at the majority of it on you instead of in you. While I'm doing it, princess, I'll also be thanking God for His mercy and goodness in the wonder of you. I love you Bella Baby and with God's grace I'll be around for many more birthdays.

Happy 1st birthday!

Love,

Me

20 comments:

Anne Lorys said...

There is nothing like the love of a grandmother. This post made me cry, it's making me miss my own sweet grandmother.
Bella is so lucky to have someone like you, a granny like you, who thinks she hangs the moon. Just like mine did. :-)

Love,
Anne

maryboys said...

oh my word! i can't believe that beautiful bella baby is 1 year old! she is thriving because she is so deeply loved:) it has been a privilege to follow bella's story this past year...thank you for sharing that with all of us.

i have been more absent than usual from blogland lately - and i just caught up on all of your recent posts:) you always make me smile, Trash!

xo
mary

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a blessed little girl, to grow up in the love of her wonderful family! Sweet, sweet letter, she's the apple of her Heavenly Father's eye!
Birthday hugs to you all,
Debra

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Bella is so blessed to have such a wonderful and loving family! Blessings... Daphne

sassytrash said...

Thank you for sharing all the miracles and your angel Bella with us....what a beautiful letter for her to cherish.

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Your post is just beautiful and Bella is so luck to have such a wonderful Nana. Blessings to you,your family and especially Bella !!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday Bella.

Anonymous said...

Can you hear the Happy Birthday's echoing around the world today? Blessings dear Bella to you and your all. xoxo Lynn @ The Vintage Nest

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Such a blessed day!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Happy Birthday Bella,
Girl I know just how you feel after watching my great granddaughter go through 2 heart surgeries plus 20 others before she was 3 months old...and to now see her at 14 months just walking and talking and into everything...I just praise the Lord for hearing her name...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

FILIGREE MOON said...

Such a beautiful message to your precious, angelic dimpled dumplin' Bella. Congratulations and best wishes for a joyful celebration of Bella's first birthday. ~ Angela

Janet said...

my stars. what God's grace and the love of a family can do!

Tootsie said...

okay...I usually show up here and leave just a little sillier...with a smile on my face!!! Today I show up looking for your silliness...and here I am wiping my eyes after reading such a beautiful post!
girl...you are one special lady...happy weekend!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Oh Deb, such sweetness dripping off every word. You are a blessed family indeed. Celebrate today, what a great day to do so. Happy Sunday, T

red.neck chic said...

Oh - now I'm just crying... that was beautiful!!! She's a lucky Grandbaby - that is FOR SURE!!! And guess who got kisses and grins and got to hold her? Moi!!! YEAH BABY!!! When do I get to babysit?!!?

;-) xoxo
robelyn

David said...

Wonderful blog!

Vintage Remixed said...

Happy Birthday to Bella, and hello to my sassy, brassy friend, Debbie. This is Crystal from the old Olive blog. Hope you are doing well. I'm off to see what you've been up too.

Peridots Garden Blog said...

This is my first visit to your beautifully sweet blog, I came over after seeing the photos of Bella at Robelyn's red.neck chic...I am a FOLLOWER now and wiping my grandma tears away while reading your post.

May God continue his amazing blessings for Bella and all who love her!

Sandy

A Wild Thing said...

It's hard to believe a year has passed already, we've all watched in amazement as this little jewel blossomed...guess she's a chip off the ol' blocks...ha...and I still think the lil'cherub looks like Granny...heehee...

Happy B-day Bella!!!
sharon

Jena Williams, Not So Shabby Interiors said...

A year old already, where did the time go? You are such a wonderful grandmother and I am so glad that you have shared such a special little blessing with us all. Happy Birthday Bella!

unique unique design said...

What a beautiful tribute to your miracle granddaughter, her wonderful mother, you and your family's amazing love and faith, and, of course, to the amazing grace of the God that got you all through this 1st yr!!!
marcie