Friday, June 25, 2010

Amazing Grace

I've always known that I was a blessed woman, but if I have ever expressed any doubts before, the past year has taught me to never walk in fear...God is always with me. Case in point...our recent hospital stay.

On Father's Day our children, the Bella Mama and the Oldest MelonHead, had came over to take their daddy to breakfast. (Have I ever mentioned what a good daddy he was? Just ask them...they'll tell you The Best!) When we arrived at the restaurant...I swear up and down...Cat Daddy looked like he had taken a shower with his clothes on. (He said later...much later...he was channeling "Flash Dance"!) When we went in, there was a waiting period, so he found a seat. Joey was with him and said he would like to take Cat Daddy to the E.R. Surprisingly, he agreed, but when he went to walk to the door, he collapsed. Luckily, the kids were on each side of him and were able to catch him before he hit the floor! Y'all...I don't know how they did....C.D. ain't no lightweight...but they did. Talk about an adrenalin rush!

A chair was rushed over and they managed to get him on it while he was still unconscious. As he came around, we all noticed two EMTs eating breakfast in the dining room and called them over. (See...God's perfect timing once again). While they went to get their equipment, another man walked up and whispered to Jenn that he was an off duty medic as well. (The kids were holding up their father, but the Father was holding them up as well.) While the different monitors were being hooked up, Danny passed out again and the decision was made to rush him to the nearest hospital. (BTW...don't you know the restaurant LOVED us?)
Tests were run and it was considered in his best interest to admit him....then the fun really began. Because all the indicators pointed to a heart attack (which was finally ruled out), he was interviewed for an episode of "House". (Just Kidding!) Seriously, they had no idea why he passed out, why his blood pressure had dipped dangerously low and why the excessive sweating. He did have a sore on his abdomen that wasn't healing properly (which he had been to his regular doctor on Friday for) and a specialist was brought in to look at it, but that didn't seem to be the problem...key word here...seem!

Imagine our surprise when an anesthesiologist shows up late in the day Tuesday to discuss his surgery the next day! I immediately asked to talk to a doctor, but didn't see any that day or early the next morning. I have to stop at this point and tell y'all...I hate confrontations with a passion. I will go out of my way to avoid them. I'm known far and wide as a peace maker...heck the U.N. should hire me I'm so good at it...BUT...when you're messing with my family...Katie, bar the door!

If they expected me to give them one of my prized possessions for even a half an hour without any guarantees it would be returned unbroken...uh uh...ain't gonna happen. I told them I would be asking for his discharge and moving him...that seemed to set the wheels in motion....temporarily. I did talk with the surgeon and was satisfied with what he told me, but the primary care doctor did not show up until after the surgery. When I started questioning her...all I got was evasive answers and the general runaround. Finally her beeper went off, she told me she was busy and left the room. EXCUSE ME???? Needless to say, a report will be filed. OOOOH, I'm getting mad all over let's move on!

Next day...everything seems to be running smooth. The nurses are making noises about him being released, the wound care nurse comes in to change the dressing on his wound and to show me how to do it at home (can you say EEEWWW?!?!). Great...we are finally getting somewhere...when BOOM...the wound care doctor comes in and tells us his care will be different. A vac/pump will be attached to his incision and it will do all the work and speed up healing...great, right? Nope...she also tells us he has MRSA. (If you have it. It will scare you to death! Also, keep in mind a culture was done when he was admitted with no staph showing up!) My heart stopped. Now suddenly we are talking about going home with an IV...and all the risks involved...and more testing to see if it has invaded his blood stream or lungs. We are scared spitless, but I turned it over to God. I knew He wouldn't have placed us where we were without a greater plan....and He didn't. The next morning, his IV's were removed which was strange. The nurses didn't know why the orders had been changed, but at 9:30am, another doctor came in and told us it wasn't MRSA, but MSSA. A staph none the less, but not as scary and totally treatable with pills. You tell does one go from THE super staph to a regular one overnight? Exactly...God can do anything and everything. The doctors are still shaking their heads, but not me. I'm on my knees thanking Him who is always there.
I'm sorry this was so long, but I needed to get this off my chest, tell y'all thank you for your prayers, and I also needed to give the praise and the glory to the Great Physician who I always trust my greatest possessions to. How can I not...they are only on loan from Him anyway.

People...Elvis, I mean Cat Daddy has left the hospital!


craftymarta said...

Thank you, GOD!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

I am so grateful he is on the mend! I've been thinking about y'all and praying for the best. I guess y'all got a Father's Day that you'll never forget. CD knows how to make things memorable, doesn't he? Hugs to you both and continued prayers for a speedy healing!!


Laura said...

Dear Debbie-
I am soooo glad everything is looking good.
God is so good, and so are you and Cat Daddy. You have blessed so many people.
So, the circle goes unbroken.
My husband went through 9 months of surgeries (7) as a result of an infection he got in the hospital last year, so I know exactly how you feel.
I thought my head was going to spin off of its axis, I got so mad.
I wish I lived closer and could bring over some soup and Blue Bell.

Love to you both,
Laura Belle


Malisa said...

Love the photos! We need to get together and do a "hubby in the hospital" art show! I was so happy to get your email and know that all was well! Thank you, Jesus, is right! Take care of that man and keep him out of the heat for awhile!


donna baker said...

Oh my gosh, how scary. You just climb in bed with him and the both of you take it easy for a few days. Glad he's on the mend.

sharron said...

Shoot!!!!.... so sorry you had to go that rigamoro....dunno how that is spelled but I bet you will know what it means!!
The health care systen ain't what it used to be and MRSA aint nuthin' to mess around with!!
My gramps had it and half of the staff did not even know what it was when we had to admit him repeatedly so I get your frustration!!
I am so happy that GOD had everyone in the right place when it mattered the most!!!
Blessings for a quick recovery and remember to take care of yourself too!!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Oh Honey I'm so so glad he's OK!!! This just is bringing tears to my eyes. God is good, girl! He's just such a darn cutie, in his Cat Daddy pose! I can tell it takes a lot to bring this boy down. So glad you all were with him and making godly decisions about his care. We've been praying for you all, and I was so glad to hear Jenn's update a day or two ago.
love you bunches,

Faded Charm said...

So glad to hear this news. Sometimes scary things like this help our faith to be even stronger.

Take care and enjoy being home with your family.


Hayley said...

I'm so relieved for you all, Deb. Take care of him so he can get back on the junking trail with you...I'll be thinking of you.

Prior said...

My, Josh had a septic hip when he was in 6th grade and was in the hospital 14 days after the surgery, until he was free of fervor, I am so glad Cat Daddy is doing ok, I know it took a lot out of him and I'm so glad you felt God's presence win you needed it most. Lezlee

Karen from A`Musements said...

So glad for ALL of you that "The Cat" is on the mend and THANK GOODNESS it wasn't something even more serious... I know how scary it is to see the people you are crackers about... I mean WILD a hospital bed. And your poor family has seen MORE than what you need to of the hospital. Bless all of your little hearts!
Love and hugs to all of you, Deb~~
Be sure to tell Cat Daddy his Oregon kitten is checking on him!

The Hillbilly Housewife said...

What a crazy week it has been for you! I am glad that you have FAITH in our Lord...and know that He is in control of all things. That's nice to know when things seem to get crazy and out of hand on our end, isn't it? I am glad that you got to give your Dad extra Dad's Day Hugs!

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

So glad to hear that he's better... God is good! Daphne

Sweet Repose said...

Yayyyy...ya can't keep a good man down...that last picture is priceless...

Big hugs for both of ya from Ioway!!!


misselaineous said...

Debbie!!! I have somehow been missing the posts re: CD!!! OMG! I am so happy to hear {and see} that your sweet man is on the mend... scary time you have all been tell that man he can't be layin' around in the bed...too many love him & need him...I'm sending hugs & prayers from Florida to help with that recovery!! Happy Satuday! *elaine*

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

Praise the Lord!!! That is the BEST news!
Prayer changes things!

sassytrash said...

So glad things are better now, just knowing what the h--- is going on is comforting when it gets crazy at the hospital.....I went through 2 weeks of it--just like a Three Stooges movie, but not funny at all! I'm soooo glad we have a Heavenly Physician dispensing that Amazing Grace!

deborah said...

What a blessing! Went thru the same doctor mess this spring when my hubby was in the hospital. We mother hens have to assert ourselves to get the best care for our loved ones! Glad Cat Daddy is on the mend!

Queenplinker said...

That is wonderful news!!! I hope you both get a chance for some peace, quiet and healing. A hospital is no place for know what I mean.

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

I'm so RELIEVED that CD is on the mend. It must've been harrowing. And I know that if he let you take that second photo, he'll be back to his old tricks in no time. XOX

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

God is definately good. Wonderful news.

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Thank God he's OK now and out of the hospital, Deb. That C.D. sure shook things up for Father's Day, didn't he?!! Well, I'm glad we got that all straightened out in the end, with your help, of course :)

Tami said...

Debbie... So happy that your CD is on the mend. All that 'hospital sickness' (MRSA etc.) is awful. We had a bout with that a few years back with my Grandma.
And 2 yrs. ago my dad contracted Legioneer's Disease, get this, **at the hospital** while he was there to visit a doctor! He collapsed a week later and was rushed to the hospital. We might have been more mad about that is they hadn't discovered while he was there, that he had cancer. That started an entire summer of hospital stays. I have to say that GOD worked his mysteries that time otherwise he wouldn't have been diagnosed in time. He is alive and cancer free as I write this.
It was awful that it happened to CD...but great that it happened the way it did. do you figure the GP missed the diagnosis of staph?
Lots of hugs and prayers sent to you **virtually**!

Lanette of Cottage Elements said...

Deb, sounds like this was one Father's Day you won't forget. So glad it all turned out for the good in the end and that he's on the mend. God is good, isn't he!


sissie said...

Thank the Lord for big blessings, Sweetie.
I'm so glad that your Man is ok. I do not know Cat Daddy but he is quite a hit among the bloggerettes!

So glad he's on the mend.


Bonnie said...

Wow, is all I can say. Thank the good Lord for such a wonderful outcome. Continued prayers for a full and speedy recovery. Love the picture of CD with the teddy bear.

Hugs, Bonnie

DEB said...

Deb...SO glad & happy hes back at home & doing better!!! Thank God is right hon! We went thru the MRSA with my hubby 2 yrs ago..about the same...first he had it...then he didnt! But God is very good & everything came out just fine:) Its soooo scary though! I am just having a thought here...did they ever check his potassium?
Thats what happened to my daughter last year...her pot. was so low caused her to pass out & so weak! two rest up & prayers are still coming for you & cat daddy!
PS He looked so cute in the hosptial gown:)

time-worn interiors said...

Oh girl! I am so happy your sweet Cat Daddy is OK! Was that his Elvis thingy he was doing in the hospital gown? LOL!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Oh Mylanta (does that sound familiar), all he (well y'all) went through, but so glad to see a smile and a CD original wave!

Wizard of Was said...

Deb, Tears of absolute JOY here. It's amazing God's miracles that are with and around us each and every day. How wonderful that you are so intune to HIS blessings!

Attic Rat said...

What a Great Physician He is!!!

So glad the Cat Daddy is doing better!

The Flying Bee said...

Praise God! I am so glad that he is doing better! I love that last picture of him! It just made me smile. God is so good! :)

Love ya!


I'm sooo glad to hear Cat Daddy is doing better. Thank God for that! And thank you for not posting any pictures of the backside of Cat Daddy in that cute hospital gown!! Prayers and hugs to all of you.... Maggie

One Vintage Hag said...

Hi Debbie,
So glad that Cat Daddy is better & at home. Sounds like a super stressful hair pulling time as well. Hoping part of your families Dr. orders were a generous helping of rest & peace.
Take care ~ Blessings
♥ one vintage hag

Cottage Panache said...

Debbie, Sorry to hear about Cat Daddy's illness and glad to hear he's doing well and now home! Get some rest.

Lauri Evans said...

Girl.....I am lovin CD doing his Elvis in his hospital gown. I can't stand it. And honey please, if we need to open a can of whoopass on some of them, you just say the word.....I'm from the mind of shoot now and ask questions later. But, I am so glad CD is better, I can sleep much better now. And let me tell you God is the only one who can save you from MRSA IT is the worst. Saying lots of prayers for you both and can't wait to see you. Lauri@chippys

Cassie said...

Way to give 'em the what-for! Unfortunately we need to be super aggressive to get the information we are rightly entitled to! Glad all is going well.
Cat-Daddy is rockin' the hospital gown!

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

I SO loved seeing you both this Saturday!!!
And Cat Daddy looked just as honery as ever, thank goodness!

Thank you both so much for making the drive down to see us, I only wish we lived closer. Y'all just feel like family. :-)


Jodie (everything vintage) said...

He even looks like a hunk in a hospital gown!

Girl, IF I could tell you how happy I still wouldn't believe me :)

I'm so happy that he's okay...God IS good.

And of course, I'm so happy that you both took the time to come see us Saturday. My only regret is that I didn't have more time with y'all. Retreats are just so busy...yuck! I could have just stayed at that sweet little cafe and spent all afternoon EATING and visiting with you two...I just love y'all so just don't know!!!! Give Cat Daddy another hug for me for my sweet little cap...he's such a sweetie to think about little 'ole me.
I just wish we would have had more time Saturday, but I'm happy you got to spend it with the girls.

I really hate to break you two the bad news but when I get to RT this fall...I am going to hog you two up all to myself (again). It's going to take a peace bond to get me out of your hair.
I'm giving you advanced fair warning~

I'm still praying for a continued speedy recovery (and for your nerves too!) and know that I love you both soooooo much :)

The excitement of you two driving over to visit just totally touched my heart...I just wish we'd have had more time~

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

I am sooo glad everything is ok. My Hubby has MRSA as well.... everytime something on his body hurts I start running fits like a dog chasing its tail. We have been ER free for the past year. You guys are in my prayers for a speedy recovery! HUGS, Janna

The Tattered Cottage said...

Miss Deb -
I am so happy to hear that Cat Daddy is home. And yes, HE is the best doctor anyone could have. I love how Cat Daddy is rockin' his hospital gown. Blessings and continued prayers to you and your family.
Hugs to you and Cat Daddy,
♥ Toni

Yaya Chique said...

Hey girlfriend!
So glad to see "Elvis aka Cat Daddy" is back in the house...lovin' that gown but where is the bling??? LOL

Thanks for droppin' by the Yaya and trust me you could never p@#% me off! You are a REAL person and are actually who you claim to be--that is what I love about you both!!!!

See ya soon...xo...deb

Kathie Truitt said...

How scary. He's in my prayers. I don't know what else to say. I'm speechless, which never happens..

the domestic fringe said...

Oh, my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a terribly scary ordeal. I'm so very, very glad that Cat Daddy is ok. That his problem is treatable and hopefully won't come won't, will it? I feel bad for him, because it was Father's Day after all. It's amazing how God worked things out to have the paramedics on hand in the restaurant.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by this weekend and find out sooner. He will be in my prayers from this moment on!


Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

God continues to bless. Thank you for this powerful post. You know, family ain't nothin' to mess with. Love y'all! ~Mindy

sweetpea said...

Wonderful news Deb! Love the pics, that CD is always a hoot isn't he? I am so glad that all our prayers were answered. GOD probably heard us and said Oh, it's THEM again. Speedy recovery to CD and some much needed REST for you.



Theresa @ 612Riverside said...

I'm so happy for all of you Deb! That is wonderful news, now I'm sure you all need a good rest after all of that and I hope you get one. Take care, Theresa


Such good news!! So glad that all is well and that you actually made it to Waxahachie this weekend. Such fun! Not sure when you came, but would have loved meeting you and the Cat Daddy in person. Soon..... ~ Angela

vintagelaundress said...

Thank you God, Thank you God! I will have you and Cat Daddy and the whole family on my mind and in my prayers.
take care of you my dear!

one gal's trash said...

A speedy recovery to Cat Daddy and xoxo to the whole family..with love from Portland.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh Debbie! I have been gone on vacation and just got back today and hopped on here to see what you were up to while I was gone and BAM! Cat Daddy!! I am SOOOOO glad it wasn't anymore serious than it was and I also know how scared ya'll must have been!! God is the Great Physician and he just stepped right in and handled that situation!! PTL!! I know he is feeling better and I think the outing was just the rehab he needed!!

Many prayers for a quick quick recovery!!

Lou Cinda :)

Janet said...

good gravy girlfriend. i would sure hate to be on the receiving end of those letters being written by one unhappy cat daddy mama! sure hope CD is on course for a speedy recovery! will continue the prayers.

Pam @ Frippery said...

I am so glad CD is good to go! I certainly think a letter or two is required. What and up and down run around you have been through. I know you are being cared for from above. Hugs, Pam

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

How am I so late in finding this out??? I could kick myself!!! How scary for all of you.
So happy he's doing better! can't keep a good man down they say!

Shannon @ Silver Trappings said...

Oh, my goodness. That all sounds so scary. I'm glad he is on the mend now. Y'all take care!