Wednesday, August 12, 2009

~Fat Gives Things Flavor~Julia Child

While cleaning out my pantry today (yes, I am trying to get caught up on chores at Casita de Trash), I found this book on my cookbook shelf. I had bought it several years ago for resale, but no one wanted it at that time. I had forgotten about stuffing it on the shelf until today. What timing!!! With the new movie, Julie and Julia coming out, I thought I would see if there would be any interest on E-bay for it.~The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.~Julia Child

Kiddies, I have got to tell you I was shocked at what the book is selling for! Let's just say I will be listing it on E-bay PDQ!!!

I've been a fan of Julia Child's for years beginning with PBS broadcasts. Later, she introduced me to Jacques Pepin and wowie wow wow! They were making classic tuna salad one Saturday morning when she told him in that voice, that yes, tuna in water was healthier, but not if one wanted to taste the tuna! I love that she loved food and all the wonderful tastes to be experienced including that of tuna fish!
~I was 32 when I started cooking; until then I just ate.~Julia Child

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie just to hear Meryl Streep do that voice. It was mesmerizing.
~Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.~Julia Child

Isn't this the best advice anyone could give all of us. It doesn't matter what your passion is...just do it!

~If you're in a good profession, it's hard to get bored, because you're never finished-there will always be work you haven't done.~Julia Child

With the passion comes the opportunity to make it a profession you will love getting up for each day. Just as Julia did, to take pride in that profession...hone it...fine tune it...until cooking or even junking becomes an art form. Paying close attention to details...presentation...originality...this is what made her unique and will us as well.

When asked what she thought contributed her longevity she replied, "Red meat and wine." It's up to us to decide what will flavor our lives and what will get our hearts to racing and keep them beating. I for one am up for the challenge and I promise Julia, I will be passionate about living and not just existing.
~Life itself is a proper binge.~Julia Child

Excuse me y'all while I go look for that can of tuna in oil!

Bon appetit!

30 comments:

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I can't wait to see the movie...I've told my husband to mentally prepare! :)
I bet you'll get a pretty penny for the book...

Unknown said...

This is the first movie I have really wanted to see in a long time...I'll go to the matinee alone if need be...I hope the book does well for ya...

Cindy said...

I love all the quotes you found! And the book...be still my heart. I guess that means I'm not going to be able to find it at Half Price! LOL. OHmygosh...you will LOVE the movie...go see, go see! And yes, Streep was amazing. Good luck on the book sale and thanks for a great post! :D

-c
yapping cat

Debra@CommonGround said...

I gave that to my daughter a couple of years ago, because she is a cookbook aficianado, especially French. I may have to borrow it back.
I left Miss Yappers a comment about Julia, that the first time I saw her (when I was very young) I actually thought it was a spoof, and that she was really a man. Oh well, I was REALLY young! haha.
Great Post! Yes, fat does taste reaaallly good!
Debra

Rebecca said...

Hi
Thanks for stopping by on white Wednesday! Love the quotes on your post...good luck on ebay. And love the Cowboys are my weakness song!
Blessings
Rebecca

donna baker said...

I so love Ms. Child. It's so sad to lose someone so full of life. Do we have anybody comparable today? Maybe Ina.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Good Grief Debbie, Have you checked out ABE? Yours is going for $695.00 plus shipping. Miss White Spray Paint has the stinkin' set!!!!
Debra

Cottage Way of Life said...

Debbie-

Thanks for all the sweet comments you left at my blog (especially while I was sick - they cheered me up). First thing I did when I got well was to go see Julie & Julia. Loved it. Meryl Streep is fantastic and Julia Child's life was so interesting (Underneath that manish exterior and funny voice was a hot tamale, I'll tell you ... A hot tamale with a good sense of humor who knew her way around the kitchen). I almost wish the movie was all about her and forget the Julie stuff. Go see the movie, you'll like it. But ... man oh man, do you ever want to eat (really good food) after that film!

Bonnie said...

I've always loved Julia Child and can do a pretty mean version of BON APPETIT! If you get a chance, read her book My Life in France - you'll love it.

Bonnie

delighted heart said...

Can you even buy Tuna in oil anymore? I think I gave up eating tuna when they put it in water. I can't believe you are not keeping the book! you may want it back after you see the movie!

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

Good gosh, and I am the crazy one on a diet, LOVE the book, gott get on a search for one!! Tootles, off to work! Janna

savvycityfarmer said...

BUTTA, BUTTA, and more BUTTA!!!!

Do you have vol one or two?
I have an old copy of two, is it valuable?

get your cute little butt(a) to the theater!!!!

Sue said...

I have always believed that if you have "passion" for what you really love to do, you will enjoy and fall in love with that. I've had this burning, passionate love affair for the past 17 years or so with Country Roads. Guess that's what keep me going, and of course those cute little babies of mine!!

Glimpse of My World said...

Hey girlie... thanks for the note.. it is only for soccer cleats. If you see any, know anyone that has any leave me a message.. it is for a great cause.. we turned in all our old one's and threw in a few new pair! Hope you are doing well...Valarie

Pam @ Frippery said...

Debbie, Great post!!! Love all the quotes and you made me hungry for a tuna salad on whole wheat with REAL mayo. LOL, Pam

Mindy said...

Ha! Great post! Gotta love Julia. Hope your make bookoos on ebay! ~Mindy

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

What a great find, Debbie - perfect timing! I'm reading her book right now and will be going to see the movie tomorrow with husband for date night, after cooking and eating some good food.

Inspired Comblogulations said...

love the post....just checking ya out... I am new to blogging. Just left "White Spray Paint" and saw your comment. I gotta see this flick.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Debbie and GREAT quotes! What an inspiration!! Hope you found the tuna!
marcie

Unknown said...

love your post! love her quotes! can't wait to see the movie!

Anita said...

I am so excited to see this movie...and as you can see, I rarely skip the fat :) Thanks for sharing. You crack me up daily .

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

Hey Debbie!
What a great post! I was laughing at your recent comment on my blog about the lamp! It is 32.00 and not as heavy as you might think.
Just let me know if you can't live without it.
Hope your day is great!!
Beth

The Renaissance Chick said...

Debbie:
Go over to The Renaissance Chick and check it out! Its' all about you...and Cat Daddy...and yore luv!

Malisa

The Green Pea said...

Hey! Julia maybe hot but not like the romance of Debbie and CD. Sandi

WIZARD OF ONCE WAS "WooW" said...

Well, Debbie,
All I can say..."It's your fault!" I'm now cleaning out my pantry, cupboards..Whew...What happened /^&(&@# I think something exploded..ha But I didn't find no stinkin' Julia Child book.grin...Hey hope you make lots of $$ on ebay..then you can shopping with me in CA.

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

You lucked out not selling the book earlier, you'll get more now! We went to the movie, and walked into the bookstore next to the theater.. afterwords...they said they ordered 40 books, and they were gone instantly. They are flying out the door!

Carolyn Westbrook Home said...

Honey...you gotta go. You are going to love this movie. Makes me wanna go back to Paris. Now that's a road trip we have not taken together, only we would have to get on a plane. With our roadtrip horror stories, not sure that would be wise, but it would be FUN!
Tell Danny I am blowing him a kiss, right now!
XOXO Carolyn

Laura said...

All I can say is great minds think alike!

Laura

My copies are newer editions-
Shucks!

Laura

One Gal's Trash said...

I loved what Julia once said about the ingredients of her favorite meal: "Butter, red meat and gin". You got an award and a shout out from me, your pal in Portland, Oregon.
xo
Pam

One Gal's Trash said...

Okay, you really DID get a shout out...I got ahead of myself yesterday. Note to self: Don't comment about shout outs and then forget to publish!
xo
Pam