Friday, April 8, 2011

Jumping Right Into The Thick Of Things!

Cue THE ENTRANCE OF THE GLADIATORS music!

Step right up ladies and gentlemen.  Welcome to my own little Sideshow of the Big Show!

Gazing out from Command Central of the Looney Bin...I am mistress of all I survey...such as it is!


I'm so sorry you missed my performance of Camille while I was setting up...it was Oscar-worthy!

For those of y'all who did catch the matinee...I apologize profusely for my whining!



Something told me (make that Some One) to take more smalls this time than usual.  (For the record...my idea of "smalls" is three will fit in a tub...rub-a-dub-dub!)  I heeded this advice and while He was right about what would sell, it created a major meltdown for me!


I'm used to working with furniture...not fluff and certainly not this much fluff.  Adding to my frustration was all my "flat" surfaces were being sold as soon as they hit the ground.  I'm not complaining about selling...just where om earth to put this crap quality merchandise in the meantime!

At one point, I threatened to spread blue tarps on the dirt and just start chunking it all on the ground!


Clearer heads (Cat Daddy's) prevailed, and with a quick trip to the warehouse (translation: storage unit E-4)...Voila...more flat surfaces and my sanity restored...for a little while!


Before I go any further, let me say sales were good...just not fantastic as in the past.  We did sell a ton of smalls (or as someone pointed out to me...mediums), but large pieces weren't moving as well (except those with flat surface...naturally!).  I do believe the...ahem...recession has hit Texas.  Land of milk and honey?  Ummm...not so much!  More like milk and cookies!

I also found it curious that people were paying in cash.  Usually I bring back a slew of checks, but not this time.  Folks were being careful with their money and how they were spending it.  Very prudent and perhaps a sign of the times.  For us...it just means adjustments are in order as to buying for future shows.  I can be prudent too ya know!


In spite of this...I still had the best time at the show for pure enjoyment...once I figured out...or just quit caring...where to put everything. 


Mark those bad boys SOLD...Hallelujah!  C.D....you're my hero in a Resitol!

The guys who help us unload were doing the victory dance when these sinks left the field (no reloading) and I was doing back flips.  OK...maybe not back flips...but certainly the Running Man!


Did I mention Cat Daddy had to go back to Dallas after opening weekend?  Yeah, normally this would send me into a tailspin, but happily Robelyn volunteered to stay with me and drive Miss Lazy back and forth to the show.  Can you say slumber party...all.week.long?

(I sure hope no one tells her what a bad influence I can be!  Come to think of it...maybe she'll be a good one on me.  Don't laugh...it could happen!)


Speaking of parties...seems like we were attending one nightly!  I'll tell y'all about those later.


(Psst...I stole, I mean borrowed a ton of her photos!)

Will I be back in the fall?

You betcha your ever-lovin' boots I will...with bells and bangles on!


I'll just be sure and pack a lot of folding tables and a boatload of mediums...

and while I'm at it...just for the heckuvit...maybe I'll throw in a baker's dozen of duct tape rolls a la the Red Neck.Chic...ju-ust to be on the safe side!


One of C.D.'s kittens (and I'm not saying which one) had this sign waiting on him when we arrived!  I swan...that man's head just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  Pretty soon...he's gonna be a melon head too!


Well Cat Daddy...this is another fine mess you've gotten me into!


God bless America...Texas...and Cat Daddy!


33 comments:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Your posts just get better and better, loved this one. I just wish everyone could have seen you set up weekend when no words were said as I'd walk into your booth, all you were doing was shaking your head side to side (priceless)!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

I'm so glad you had a fun time! All your stuff looks wonderful. I guess the economy blues are heading south from Missouri aka Misery, blah....
And glad Robelyn saved the day! Glad you're home, dear heart! Rest up,
xoxo,
Debra

Mindy said...

I saw less and less of this stuff every time I walked through. Congrats on a decent little show, my friend. Good times at Zapp? Always! ~Mindy

Sue said...

LOVE it all!! I think "good is really good". Fantastic these days seems to just make a rare appearance here and there! Thanks for all the great eye candy.

Take care, Sue

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Nice to hear how things went out there! Those tarps are exactly the way it's done in Europe! Glad you had a decent show.

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Great, great stuff, Debbie! Your last line just sums it up perfectly :) p.s. keep showing more...

Cottage Panache said...

Oh my gosh, I have got to go next time! I'm thinking about going and setting up! Don't know where to begin though! Used to do shows when my knees, elbows, back etc. worked better. Any advice?! I am doin good just to run my little flea market twice a year at Cottage Panache. If you're in the area (and have re-couped) stop by Deb, would love to meet you ~ picked a few of my favs to blog and coming to yours always brings back to life on a really stressed day before my sale! :)Maureen

Bohemian said...

I am so glad you all are sharing your Round Top experience so I can live vicariously though you... glad the show went well... green with envy that I didn't get to go AGAIN!!! *NO, I'm not bitter... just insanely jealous... winks* I've been thinking after seeing so much of the fabulousness that perhaps it is well that I didn't get to go... I wouldda most def broke the Bank and had to sell The Man into Servitude... he and I would have to put off retirement again until we were, lets say close to 100... I have no restraint in me... NONE... NADA... Smiling about the cast iron sink comment, The Man had to schlep several of them and a Claw Foot Tub Home from deep in the AZ Desert when we discovered them languishing there in the hot sun and begging us... um... I mean ME... to give them a good Home! *winks... yes it takes 3 Men and a Boy to load 'em really... but all I had was The Old Man... gotta keep him strong! *LOL*

Blessings from the AZ Desert

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

You're kidding, I would have loved to see you as Camille. Encore, encore!

Beautiful photos, I want that settee, Debbie ahh, I mean Camille.
xoxo

Anne Lorys said...

This post makes me exceedingly giddy and overwhelmingly sad at the same time!
It just hit home how much I missed seeing y'all, and getting to take a prance around the kitten tent!

Your mediums look might good here, hope to nab a few of them in the Fall!

Love ya!
Anne

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

A week long slumber party with cool junk? It can't get any better!

Janet said...

i can't believe you're using the word "jump"! i can barely move and "jump" is no where in my near future! you go girl! so glad you had a great show! next time, reserve a chair for me on prom night...can't believe it took me so long...and a recap from mo and steph...to realize the place to be!

Gracefully Vintage said...

love it all.. Thank You for sharing.. Great pieces . WOULD love that settee.
Great Blog as usuall.
Karryann

VS said...

It was sooooo fun hangin with you & Cat Daddy under the Big Top in Round Top!! So many favorites in the same place can make a girls head spin!!! ;)
Big Hugs & talk soon...
Susie

red.neck chic said...

*giggle*

We have to do the slumber party thing again. GOOD GRAVY that was FUN! Ah.... the stories I have to tell about my new Mama and the Cat Daddy...

yep. ;-D

And... for the record... the blue tarps ARE the way to go... 'cause you know, ain't no redneck in the world that travels without blue tarps. And, since I've officially adopted you as "the additional mama"... you be a redneck. HA!!!

LOVE the post!!! How many bangles and bracelets are you wearing today? You know... for smalls in the fall you should sell bangles...

YES! ;-D xoxoxo
robelyn

Prior said...

Loving your pics and writing, as usual...I want pics of the slumber party, too! lol, Lezlee

LuLu Kellogg said...

I LOVE visiting your Blog...your writing is wonderful and just makes me smile from ear to ear! I love hearing about you and Cat Daddy's adventures!

sweetpea said...

you slay me! my show was much like yours, not as much big pieces selling and few checks or resale numbers. i've seen a definite shift this time and i think you are right about the texas economy. boohoo... love that sign!

glad you will be back.

hugs,

shelley

Carole said...

Everytime I read your posts I find a smile on my face. You may not have made the big mulla but it sounds like you had a lot of fun.
I like your new term.....mediums:))
and love that sign!!!!!!

xx
Carole
ps...remember junk on a tarp? (joat)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

You are crackin me up girl! I love looking at all your great stuff. I know what you mean about people not buying the big stuff as much this year. We've noticed the same thing, more smalls and more cash.

I bet Cat Daddy was grinning from ear to ear when he saw that sign. LOL!

hugs
Sissie

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

You ALWAYS make me laugh!!! Well, you can send some of that crap -- oh, sorry, STUFF my way. I'd be happy to store it for you, especially that settee!!!!

xxoo

A Wild Thing said...

It's all about the fun and friends...and flat surfaces...the rest of the crap...I mean quality inventory is only secondary...after all you get to go home with THE MAN...and what could be better'n that, well maybe new boots, but don't tell him I that...LUV U KIDS!!!

From already in recession Ioway...but recovering!

s

DKG aka Scrappy Doo said...

here is the whole sad story--Babysitter lined up-room reserved- then! Fri night my horse foundered (VERY BAD THING STILL NOT SURE IF SHE CAN PULL THRU THIS :-( ) then the MIL was rushed to emerg room severe dehydration so bad we had to find a new nursing home. (she is doing much better now) so what else did this all mean? We did not go to Warrenton:( heartbroken I am, cuz I would a spent a @%^* load!

Anonymous said...

IT was just a blast being your neighbor. The 2 of you made a hard week 1/2 fun and bearable - seriously. Not anonymous Kim Leggett (couldn't get it to post using my google acct. for some reason).

Tammy said...

Love this post! The pics of your booth are too fab for words !! I'm hopin next year will be the year I;ll make it to this show! or maybe in the fall? who knows ...but it sure sounds like alot of fun!
Tammy :-)
JUNK WILD

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

LOL! I'm sure glad you're back Deb! I've missed you backtalk and sass and a little bit of trash talk!

Hugs,
Judy

Unknown said...

Too funny!! Your blog is cracking me up!!
Hugs
~Leslie
http://retreauxgirl.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Miss Deb, is was really great finally getting to meet you at The Blog Party. What a fun time! And I don't care what everyone else says about you, you ARE THE CAT'S MEOW! hehehe!
I can't wait till the Fall show.
Lisa @ Pix Up Stix

Vicki said...

You crack me up! I'm glad it was a good show even if not your best. So wish I could have been there!

time worn interiors said...

Thank goodness I brought a ton of smalls, cause I sold the heck out of them! Sold big stuff as well! Not many dealer sales though, but I had more checks than cash! Me liky that cash! I didn't bring as much big stuff this time so I didn't think my show would be that great, but with the combo of all the smalls I came out great!

Glad to hear you will be back in the fall! Sweet T says she may not come back! :(

Where is Cat Daddy? I still don't see my name on that list!!

TOT

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Deb! Sound like you had a great time!
You and Robelyn must have had the whole place in stitches every day!!

Anonymous said...

This was very much worth the wait. Of course I am looking forward to a little "dirt" on those parties as well.
I think whenever you have a very large show and lots of competition you need to bring smalls and mediums. Those are the purchases that one doesn't think as long about and help one to remember you so they can visit again.
However it does sting a little whenever one has to tell any man his idea was insightful.

One Gal's Trash said...

Ooooo Ooooo! That creamy Frenchy love seat! I'm swooning...if only it were here so I could faint on it!
xoxoxo
Pam