Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jumping To The Rescue


I was gonna save this Texas tall tale for a stellar end to the ongoing saga of "As The Wheel Turns", but seeing as how today is a certain couple's anniversary...I thought I'd make it my little gift to them!

As the show draws to an end, saying we are tired and ready to head home is like saying the ocean is salty and wet.  It is and we are!  The show closes on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. and it's a mad dash to start packing and loading.  Everyone is jockeying for a place to pull in their trailers.  This year was a little tricky with the added vendors at the back.

Cat Daddy and I have learned over the years to just bide our time and wait, but we only have a four hour drive home.  Many of these vendors have states...many states...to cross to get back home.  Case in point...Kim and David.

They're from Tennessee and time on the road spells M.O.N.E.Y!  (Not to mention...they had two precious grandchildren anxiously awaiting 'em back home!)  Since their trailer was parked behind their tent, they began meticulously packing and loading at a little past four.  No problem...right?

WRONG!!!

Seems there was...ahem...the small problem of not being able to back their truck to the trailer...all accesses being blocked by cars and trucks.

Ouch!

  What's a junker to do you ask?  The only thing they can do I answer.

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad...then the trailer must go to the truck.  (I didn't realize what brain fart plan of action David and Cat Daddy had formulated or I'da had my camera ready sooner!)

In lieu of a photo...I'm gonna ask y'all to try and visualize this in your mind...'kay?

Picture David holding the tent up by the center pole while simultaneously, C.D. and some of the guys lifting the trailer by the tongue (that's guy talk for the thingy that hooks the trailer to the vehicle) and rolling it backwards through the tent into the pathway in front!

Tell me we're not a circus of stars.  Heck...we even got strongmen!

(I stole this photo from Robelyn or David. I can't remember which!)

With a lot of maneuvering and fancy footwork...along with Kim telling 'em how the cow ate the cabbage...they navigated that loaded trailer down and around...only dropping it once!  Beefcake...you betcha...but these guys got them some brains to back up all that brawn, demonstrating they are more than just pretty faces!

Although Kim and David had a slew of problems beginning with tires (plus a lack of bathroom service) and ending with a landlocked trailer...through it all I never heard a cross word between the two of 'em.  Their marriage is rock hard...bonded with love...and maybe a pail or two of cement!

The end result...see for yourself.  Two perfect unions...truck and trailer...Kim and David...travelling down the road to happiness!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOU TWO!!!

May the road of life find the wind at your backs and the sun on your faces...

and clean, working restrooms along the way!


15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh....the logistics ya'll must have to face are daunting. Thank goodness you both have sweet partners to help.
And Yes....BUMMER...I can't believe I didn't hook up with you again. We started fairly early, but must have been slow lookers this year. I think we were almost to Zapp Hall and then bolted across the street for bathrooms, drinks, or something. Then we continue on the other side of the street until Sunset and we'd missed Zapp Hall again. Hopefully the 3rd times the charm in October. :) Hope you and Cat Daddy have an awesome SPRING!!!!

the good-buy girl said...

Debbie, you are an amazing writer - telling the story just like it was happening at this very moment! I can't say it brings back fond memories. This story is a perfect anniversary gift!! You sure know how to say Happy Anniversary. I told Lila (my granddaughter) that today was our anniversary and she said "what does that mean, you're not going to be married anymore?" I told her not to give Pawpaw (that's David) any ideas. Speakin of fond memories, seems like I remember us talkin about a certain "groom of the day" sporting a classy hairdo at the wedding. Which reminds me to go dig out the wedding photos and wish him a very public Happy Anniversay on facebook. Thanks again, you are a sweetie (and I mean it)!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I love the way all of you watch out for one another. The world could learn a BIG lesson from Warrenton dealers! Okay... Make that junkers in general.

xo Kristi

Sue said...

It is absolutely heartwarming to see how everyone came to their rescue! I loved reading your story about the good in people, about helping each other when in need! Thank you for sharing this with us!!

Take care, Sue

the gypsy chick said...

I just love it!!! You tell the best stories my friend!!!! I am glad that everyone made it home safe & sound...
XoXxo amy

Beth Leintz said...

I can't even imagine how anxious you must be to pack it all up after a 10 day show- I know even when I'm having a great one day show, I'm ready to leave by 3pm. You're a better person than me if you can be patient and wait-but bless your heart for helping your neighbors- what a great story!

Olive said...

Sweet...I know y'all are tired...rest up. ♥O

the old white house said...

What a great circus family you all are! Now after telling everyone another story of Cat Daddy, this time letting us all in on his supernatural strength, you and he will be shooing away all kinds of kitten wanna-bees! xoxo

JUDY said...

I WISH YOU WHERE CLOSER-I HAVE A FULL SIZE 100 YEAR OLD POSTER HEADBOARD MY SON IS GONNA BURN IT- I BOUGHT THE WHOLE BEDROOM SET [ COCK ROACHES AND ALL] IN A LITTLE SHOP IN BOWLING GREEN KY. NO ROOM FOR IT AND THIS IS ALL I HAVE LEFT DO YOU KNOW ANYONE IN MN

sweetpea said...

wow i am in awe of this whole story! congrats to kim and david, they obviously have what it takes. props to the men for pulling this off!

hugs,

shelley

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Congrats to Kim and David!
In this crazy world we live in I love to hear a tale of good will with a happily ever after ending!

Nancy's Notes said...

Heartwarming post, know you and your buddies are all worn out and are ready for home. I'll be waiting for other great posts, I know you've got them! Congrats to David and Kim!

Nancy

Glenda said...

Debbie, the way you write this, I can see it in my minds eye. Being a junker I have been apart of situations such as this, but believe me words were fly'n. One strong marriage to undertake what y'all do. Glad to know their back home with family, safe, sound and happy.
~G~
Go Cat Daddy, Go Cat Daddy, Go Cat Daddy!!!

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

Love visiting and hearing the wonderful stories about junkers! You tell it well! Happy Anniversary to David and Kim!! The month of April is turning out to be shared memories by many, it was a blessed month for us, our wedding, 37 years ago and our son was born 24 years ago in April.

Thanks for visiting us today and leaving such a sweet comment. It means the world to us.

XO Glad & Cel

red.neck chic said...

I'm still laughing like an idiot. Hey - did you know that David got married in probably the same shirt he is wearing today - right this minute?

;-D LOLOLOL

xoxoxoxoxoxo
robelyn