Friday, April 15, 2011

Show Jumping


I'm in the mood for a little exercise this morning, so I thought I'd take a walkabout and if you care to join me...I'll introduce you to a coupla neighbors of mine at the Circus Of The Stars.

To our left is Royer's Cafe and as you can see...there is no getting through that pack of hungry, hungry...ummm...people!  Let's go to the right instead...whatcha say?

My next door neighbors were Kim and David Leggett from Tennessee.  They were such fun to sit out on the "veranda" with during the show.  We laughed, talked and then laughed some more!  Let me just say...Kim could talk the ears off'n a billy goat.  (Kim darlin'...that's not a bad thing, but high praise coming from the Queen of Trash Talkin' herself.  Poor David didn't stand a snowball's chance of gettin' a word in edgewise between the two of us!)

  These two are quite the power house couple.  They've been at this business since Hector was a pup and sure know a lot about stuff...namely folk art.  Since that is a secret passion of mine...I got me a mini-education in real folk art.

While these may look like just sticks that Kim painted in her spare time (HA!)...they actually represent the (some might say) obsessive art of Oliver Wright.  Painstakingly over a lifetime, each stick hand selected and hand painted, he created this beautiful collection.  To appreciate the color and impact, this display had to be viewed first hand and not just in a photo.  I couldn't capture the love and passion that each stick represented, but suffice it to say, it's of museum quality.

The colorful basket was woven entirely of wire.  Again...just beautiful and the mirrors you ask?  Can you say industrial strength Fab U Lousness?

This is just a small sampling of a collection of framed temperance cards displayed on a wall of their tent.  Loved it!

Kim's eye for displays and David's willingness to hang from a tent top make them the ideal pair...and what a pair to draw to!  They are like a fine pair of matched mules...and here in Texas...that's the ultimate compliment to give for unrivaled work ethics!

I'd love to be able to say the same thing about me and Cat Daddy, but where they are Jack and Jenny...me and him are more like Frick and Frack!
BTW...remind me to tell y'all a funny story on what happened to them at the end of the show.  It's a doozie and demonstrates how resourceful us junkers truly are!

Let's just follow the map and scoot on down to visit my favorite little protegee...'kay?

The sign says it all.  Anybody who uses duct tape as an accent mark has got to be throwed off, but in a really, really good way!

  I've read the only thing that separates genius from madness is a thin line.  Trust me...this chick isn't walking that line...she's sitting on it.  She's either one crazy (like a fox) genius or a mad (mad I say) scientist working in her la.bor.a.tory ( I love the way this girl talks!)...you be the judge!  Regardless of which is which...talent is her mainstay and I promise you up and down...y'all are gonna see her name up in lights one day...held in place by duct tape but of course! 

Robelyn has her own unique sense of style.  She doesn't worry about what's the latest, greatest.  Instead she focuses on what makes her happy and what makes folks smile.  Now y'all tell me....doesn't this globe make you smile out loud?

With her raucous use of color, playful Saddle Tramp designs to wear and just her whole sweet self...it's like being in a McDonald's Playland for grown-ups with more than enough eye candy to keep you on a sugar rush...sans the calories!

What can I say?  I am the proud owner of one of her pocketbooks (that's what she calls 'em) and I love it.  I could gush on and on about the detailed work that goes into each and every creation (with no two being alike), but kinda like the sticks...ya just gotta see 'em to believe 'em!

My little Trashette paid a surprise visit and rather than sit around looking all cute-like (which she does SO well), she chose to work for Robelyn at the Red.Neck Chic (FYI...for the record...that's chic as in tray sheek...not chick) boutique...free of charge.  My baby girl knows fashion, what's hip and cool, and can spot another fashionista with her eyes closed.  No wonder she made a bee line to RNC...can't says as I blame her!  I'da worked there too...if I didn't have my own stinkin' tent to take care of!

Ruh Ro!

I think I'm getting the stink eye!

  David's giving me that same look he kept giving Kim and I during the show.  If you don't read faces...here's the translation:

No more lolly gagging...it's time for TnT to get her rusty dusty back to work!<p>
Thank you Kim, David and Robelyn for making 11 Luh-uh-uh-ONG days just a little bit shorter...and 110x more fun!


27 comments:

Dar said...

What a show and fun you all had...love 'stuff'...it makes the world go round too.
BlessYourHearts

Olive said...

Hi Frack, you sure are having a heap pile of fun! If only we had such a place here. ♥O

LuLu Kellogg said...

I always feel like I am right there in the midst of things with your writing! I love me some junk!

Your little one is ADORABLE with those pink boots!

I still call a handbag a pocketbook and people look at me like I have TWO heads...LOL

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Anne Lorys said...

Did I miss out or WHAT?
Yep, I missed out.
Won't make that mistake again! :-)

XOXO,
Anne

V I N T A G E O L O G I E said...

Great walkabout, thanks! ... love me that Robelyn!!
xo
Jill

sweetpea said...

sounds like a fun place to be! all my favorite people in a row and yes kim can talk your ear off, and i mean that in a good way of course!

hugs,

shelley

the good-buy girl said...

WOW, you sure know how to give someone the ROYAL TREATMENT!! This is like getting a review in the New York Times coming from the Queen of Texas. You are so amazing! Thanks so much for including us in your blog and most of all for including us in your world. We had so much fun with the 2 of you in Texas. And, yes, we did do alot of talking, didn't we? Lova ya'll Kim & David

Debra@CommonGround said...

Smart little Cutie Patootie, apprenticing for the duct tape diva! Love the pose she's stiking in those fab pink boots! I know you all must have had sooo much fun,
xoxo,
Debra

Prior said...

lol, I lurve u! ur storys made me fill like I was back N the fields agin'.
Lezlee

red.neck chic said...

*giggle*

The next show I need Grayzilla FRONT AND CENTER the WHOLE ENTIRE SHOW! LOL! She's so stinkin' cute!!!

Thank You!!! Ya know - Fall is gonna be even MORE fun 'cause I will PICK UP my tent and move it next to yours if I have to. LOLOL Oh wait - I'm laughing - yet serious.

uh HUH!!! I love you my new Mama!!!
(are we ever going to be able to blog about the mullet???)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
robUHlyn

Glenda said...

Frack, you are one of the luckiest junkers I know. Around here a show consist of someone calling milk glass vintage, and crochet potholders to pick it up with, art. But you my darli'n get folk art, the red.neck chic and days and days of hooti'n and holli'n. I do believe I have been punished by the Almighty, and made to sprout in the midwest! Thank you for the pics.
~G~

P.S. The darli'n in the pink boots, soooo cute.

Malisa said...

I really missed being right in the middle of the fun, but I did like our new location too! You might suspect that I am one mad mama because you did not bring Graycie to get her photo made on the moon! What kind of grandma are you? Girl, we are gonna talk!

MALisa

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh Lawd Debbie! So much Fabulousness in one place!! I would lose my mind! Lose it I tell ya'!!

Gorgeous Booths!

Lou Cinda

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, I wanted to go sooooo bad, but just had to much going on, sure hope to make it to the Fall show! Debra I wanted to thank you for you precious comments on my last post about my sweet Star, it meant so much to me, it's so nice to have such precious friends as yourself, I hope you have a wonderful and blessed weekend!
Big hugs~~~ Daphne

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Great, great stuff, Debbie. I just adore your little Trashette posing out there and working her stylish little self off at the show - she has clearly learned from the best!

Rebecca said...

Hi Sweetie
Been saving you for last so I have a few minutes to catch up on Round Top and seeing it through your eyes. It takes this northern girl a little longer to read through that southern talk... it cracks me up. And it looks like another circus of the stars is on it's way to be a fun memory and hopefully with your pockets full.
Blessings to you today my dearest
RE

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Deb...thanks for showing us around!
Lots of fun to be had on the midway there!

time worn interiors said...

Thanks for the tour girl! Did Kim tell you she is also a toy designer! She's an amazing person!
Theresa
aka:tot

time worn interiors said...

Oh! I almost forgot! I see I FINALLY made the list! Thank you Cat Daddy!
Theresa
aka:tot

Kristen said...

You've got one blog I will LOVE to follow! Yippy! Thank you so much for some sun in my day today! I envy you and that you can find such great places to venture to!!

Anonymous said...

Your neck of the woods is my kind of place...

xo Kristi

FILIGREE MOON said...

Oh my goodness, you've got such a grandtastic style of writin', Sweetness! I adore your pics and prose, but best of all is that lil' Trashette of yours. What a precious doLL! ~ Angela

Graycie york said...

I still have those pink boots

decorator to the stars said...

GREAT BLOG, LUV IT :) STOP BY & SAY HI GIO

amy~ the gypsy chick said...

honey i'd follow you anywhere....

XoXxo
amy

red.neck chic said...

I had to come back to see if Gracie was talkin... Gracie - I need some in MY size you lil' fashionista!!!

;-D LOL!!!

A Wild Thing said...

The 'stink eye'...now that's one for the mem'ry banks...only our trash talker could come up with that one...have a great time...and say hi to Ki from the girls in Iowa!!!