Friday, December 19, 2008

C'mon Baby, Light My Fire!

I don't have a fireplace in our teeny, tiny home, but I do have about a gazillion stockings. So being the good little junker that I am, I just went out into the barn and found one. I had Cat Daddy drag it in and attach it to a wallway that leads to the kitchen. It's such a narrow space, I couldn't get a shot of the whole area. Please feel free to use your imagination. In the bottom opening I have a little vintage black heater (totally non-functional) that I filled with greenery and candles. I also place mirrors in the opening to reflect the light. I have to digress here for just a moment to say I don't have burning candles in areas where they could easily be bumped. I had a guest in a Christmas sweater set herself on fire one year! FYI-those things are highly flammable!!!! So no more lit candles for me. Instead I use those little battery flicker lights (one of the greatest inventions of all time) in votives. I get the glow without the lawsuits. Then on Christmas eve, C.D. hangs his stocking and I hang my red fishnet thigh highs and we're good to go!
Oh and in case anyone was looking for the perfect gift for me, I do collect the vintage jewelry trees and boxes. Are you reading this, C.D.? For those of you leaving this weekend to begin your holiday journeys and in case I don't see you until after Christmas, have a safe trip and A Merry Christmas!!!

15 comments:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Merry Christmas to one of my fav junkin buddies.

Mindy said...

May your stockings be filled with good health, good fortune and many blessings in the coming year. ~Mindy

Anonymous said...

Debbie, your Christmas decor looks so festive! And I've been to your house at Christmas and so far you have never, ever burned my sweater off!! Thank you very much. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!
marcie

Malisa said...

I am sorry to be laughing, but I cannot help it! I can imagine it all now...the burning of wool, the screaming of some little blue hair lady, the red christmas ball earrings bouncing up and down as she makes her way to the punch bowl to douse the flames! Wish I had been there! I would have helped out by throwing my Tangueray martini...no vermouth, three olives...upon her smoldering sequined poinsettia sweater! Oops! Did I make the situation worse?

Anyway...your home looks great...and I hope those red fishnet stockings get stuffed full of goodies!

Ho!Ho!Ho!
Malisa

WhisperWood Cottage said...

I love that you just happen to have a fireplace lying around in the barn! Love the idea of the flicker lights in a votive...will probably try that one!

Amy

P.S. I wonder if you might get more "goodies" if you were wearing the fishnets!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb , I love the little flicker lights. Silly me , I thought I'll grab them later and when I went back they were all gone... next year though. Stay warm , Sue

Rosemary said...

Hey girlie, i'm sorry to hear you are sick! Hope you feel better soon :)
Your home looks fabulous! I love that you had a mantel stashed in the barn! LOL! What else you got stashed out there?

Pam @ Frippery said...

Lookin' good Ms. Debbie. I love the black heater decked out for Santa. Those flicker lights are my favorite. I have had so many close calls at parties. Now we don't have to burn our houses down for a little ambiance. Take care, Pam

Anonymous said...

Seems like Santa ought to bring you a fire extinguisher for your parties. Did a guest REALLY set herself on fire? I set a bread basket on fire once. I don't do well with candles on the table, but I've never actually set myself on fire. (I'm knocking on my wood table.)
Merry Christmas!
-FringeGirl

trash talk said...

I really don't make this stuff up-I couldn't if I tried. I had a tall standing candalabra with lit candles, she came by and brushed one of the lower candles with the sleeve of her GAUDY sweater. We kept smelling something and looking around and lo and behold, her sleeve was smoldering just about to burst into flames. The stories I could tell! Tn'T

cheryls fascinatingfinds said...

Oh yes, its happened to me, a silk floral center piece gets caught on fire from a candle while moving it out of the way for conversation. As my brother is carrying it out to the sink? on fire.... it is catching other things on fire in its path including the curtains over the kitchen sink......very scary. Anyway how are you feeling? better I hope.
Cheryl

Sue said...

FOR JUNK IT IS WAY PAST BEAUTIFUL---SOME PEOPLE ARE SOOOOOOO CREATIVE. WISH I COULD SEE THE COMPLETE MANTLE---GREAT JOB.

SUE

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

You're too funny...thigh high fishnets! lol:D Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!

XO Marie said...

Everything looks so cozy!
Merry Christmas!
Marie

Lauri Evans said...

Okay...that fire story reminds me of "Christmas Vacation" when Chevy Chase's uncle lights himself and the whole tree on fire...also the jellomold w/cat food...

RED THIGH HIGHS! You totally rock! Take two shots of vodka and call me in the a.m.
ox lulu