Saturday, August 28, 2010

Old School Joe Cool

This past week school started for lots of kiddos and after reading many posts about their adventures in FirstDayLand, it got me to reminiscing about Joey's (aka The Oldest Melonhead) first day of Kindergarten. (Which btw is too many years ago to say without incriminating myself!)

Like so many young mothers before and since, I had spent the night before picking out just the right thing for my big boy to wear on his first day of school. We had been to the pre-enrollment meet-and-greet where I had met his teacher, the principal and familiarized him with the school layout. I had carefully packed his lunch, set the alarm to give us plenty of time, and then tried to sleep. I worried all night long whether or not he was ready for this big step. (Forget about whether I was ready or not...that would never happen!) Would he be one of the children who could not handle separation...would he make friends...would the teacher be kind...would he beat me home? You know...all the things mothers tend to make mountains out of.

When we arrived at school that next morning, I got out of the car with Jenn on one hip and him by the hand. As we came to the sidewalk leading to his classroom, he turned and looked at me with what only can be described as the stank eye and asked if he could go on alone. I could have died on the spot, but not wanting to interfere with his (might I say sudden) sense of independence, said yes. As I stood there watching him walk on alone...shoulders back, chin held high...to that HUGE classroom with only his Fonzie lunchbox for protection against the big, cruel world of schoolhouse bullies I knew were waiting to pounce on my baby...he suddenly stopped...turned...saw the tears streaming down my face and with a roll of his eyes said "Oh, come on"! I don't think my feet ever touched the sidewalk getting me to where he was waiting. I respectfully walked a couple of steps behind him, resisted the urge to kiss him in front of the other kids and thanked God for giving me this plucky little boy! Once in my car, I stopped crying long enough to thank God once more for giving Cat Daddy and I the good sense to raise him with the self confidence needed to fearlessly face the unknown and you know...except for that one, brief, precious moment in time...I don't think he's looked back since!
Young mothers everywhere...heed my words. They go from Kindergarten...... to a senior in high school in a blink of an eye. So if at all possible...don't blink...don't breathe...heck...don't even turn your back for a moment....'cause if you do...
when you turn back around...he's taking his own baby bird to her first day...

Just...Like....That!!!

17 comments:

Sue said...

I LOVED this post! Brande, my oldest was like that, and Riley was like that with pre-school. The first days of school are something we all hold close to our heart. Thank you for the great post. I loved each and every word!

Take care,
Sue

Anne Lorys said...

You raised 'em right!

What a great story, he sounds like he wasn't lacking for either spunk or self-confidence.

I would love to meet all your melon heads, and grandmelonheads, too! ( did I just create a new word for ya? ) :-)

Hugs,
Anne

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Great Post! It brings me back...
I cried when I left them at Kindergarten...
...and buckets full when they went to college.
My son still kids me...whenever he leaves,even if its just to run to the store...he says, don't cry Mom!
P.S. You have a good looking son!
:)

The Green Pea said...

Gee Deb, I had the same problem when they went to
College. I still cried....

Your little melons are beautiful....sandi

sweetpea said...

girl, you are preachin' it! it's like yesterday that my sons were heading off to school... Aw heck who am i kidding... anyway you hit the nail on the proverbial head. time will pass you by in an instant if you don't watch out. be in the moment. grab it by the horns. this ain't no dress rehearsal.

love ya darlin',
shelley

Debra@CommonGround said...

This is just the sweetest! He's a year older than our big girlie, It's so hard, she carried a picture of me in her lunch box. makes me cry when I think about it. He's such a cute kid, and that senior photo, don't ya know he just loves it! te he.
wonderful memories!
xo,
Debra

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Wonderful post Deb. My son didn't have a problem starting school either, good thing he didn't take after his mother, When I started Kindergarden, they literly had to peel me off my mother, I cried and cried, and clung to her, she was going to take me back home with her until the teacher told her what a mistake she would be making. I was miserable the whole year and followed the teacher every where she went, needless to say I had the teacher crying too. This had alot to do with the fact that I was so shy. ( I'm sure your not believing that) I only talked to my teacher 1 time the whole year I told her what I got for Christmas, and I was so proud of myself! Sorry this was so long, I didn't mean to write a story! hugs~~~ Daphne

Unknown said...

Aw...Deb...that was an awesome post! Sheesh.he grew up into one handsome guy! LOL...ya musta done something right for him to invite you to follow him...that's a confident kid....:-)
**Tami

Olive said...

Darling post from my favorite sassy poet. hugs♥olive

the old white house said...

I loved this post Deb! So much truth in it... As I take Cameron to college on Saturday, I will try to be a brave mom but I'm not promising anything!!!
Thank you for you kind and always thoughtful words, Theresa xoxo

Bonnie said...

What a great post Deb and what a handsome dude! I'm loving that 80s high school pic and is that a mullet I see! Have a great weekend, Bonnie

Laura said...

This made me cry and laugh-
but you have that knack!
You are so right.
Where did the time go?

LB

Anonymous said...

Deb.....I had the pleasure of finally meeting you yesterday after my long yearning to meet you. You are pure delight and one of the angels here on earth.
This post was heartwarming and so well written as all your writing is.
May God continue to bless you always.........one of your biggest fans.....grace (a la Grace)

Six in One Hand said...

Okay...
I'm about to cry!!
I remember my watermelon heads and their first days.

What a great son he turned out to be!!!

red.neck chic said...

No kidding... don't blink at all. Mine's fixing to start driving and I just want to shut my eyes. LOLOL

LOVED this post!!!!
;-D xoxoxoxoxoxo
robelyn

Mindy said...

So sweet! Good stuff, Debbie! ~Mindy

Anonymous said...

oh good grief...i was laughing....now I am crying. :( My grandbaby got on that big yellow bus for the first time today. I would have given the world to see it!