Friday, December 28, 2012

Free From Want

Even with the extra weekend thrown in this year, Christmas came and went too fast to suit me.  Seems as if I barely got my house in a festive mood and now it's time to start putting it all away for next year.


I don't want to.

I'm afraid that when the lights and tinsel are put away, so will the true meaning be packed up as well.
I will be left with a drab house and a sense of melancholy knowing I can't really make a change in the world with a string of lights.


What I do want is to sit in the glow of twinkle lights, surrounded by the smell of pine with a slice of warm, chocolate, Mexican cake in my hand and pray for the time I can be assured others feel the same way...free of hunger, poverty and fear.


I want to shut out the outside world with it's harsh realities and pretend it doesn't exist.
No sickness, no wars, no hate...only peace on earth, good will towards man.


I want the season of giving to extend to all seasons.  I want the day to come where there is no want and the only giving required is that of thanks.


I want folks to stop the arguing about who is right or wrong and accept the differences that makes us unique and at the same time, all God's children.


I want folks to agree to disagree.

I want a world where one doesn't have to be reminded to speak or do good.  It comes naturally and from the heart because we know no other way.

I want the energy that is put into trying to change others to be put into trying to change the world.


I want the light that led the Magi to the Christ child to continue to shine and lead us out of the darkness that consumes us in our harsh judgements and lust for things.  Things that bring only temporary happiness, rather than everlasting joy.  That cannot be bought...neither new or used.  That joy can only come from the head, heart, and hands.

I want to honor not the tools of the trade, but the hands that once held them.  Hands that have gone ahead, but before leaving us, carved out their place in this world and in our hearts. 

I want to be like the old gentleman in our neighborhood.  Every morning, come rain or shine, he can be found at the local gathering place, a smile on his face.  At first glance this man, who owns no car and walks everywhere he goes, appears poor as a church mouse, but don't be deceived.  He is rich beyond imagination.  His pockets hold miracles.  His needs few, but always met.  He knows what is real and what is fool's gold.


He greets everyone with the same salutation... God bless you and how are you today?

And when asked about his day, this ageless man with his patched clothes, scuffed shoes and brilliant smile, replies with same answer every.single.time.

I am greatly blessed and highly favored.


Not just during December, but all year long, his words carry a hopeful message.  He knows a child was sent to become a king.  A saviour who would provide the way to a better world, a more giving world, a more loving world...Immanuel.


Through Him, by Him to a world without end.


And who doesn't want that?


~For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.~John 3:16


I'm linking this post to Debra's Common Ground Vintage Inspiration Holiday Review.

 

5 comments:

Carole said...

Better words never spoken.
I'm with you I'm not ready to put it all away either.
Happy New Year

Dewena said...

Somehow I don't think you will pack away the true meaning of Christmas when that beautiful decor gets put away. I too want a world with no hate and wish we could begin here on blogs by respecting each others right to respectfully say what we think without getting mad and taking our toys home. I also wish I could meet that old gentleman in your neighborhood but maybe there's one in mine, if I look hard for him. Or maybe I could become the old gentlewoman in mine.

Blessings in 2013 and thank you for enabling comments so I could say thank you for this heartfelt and wise post.
Dewena

Laura said...

I'm soooo glad you have comments back up!

Happy New Year Dear Friend and your house looks AMAZING.

You've got the touch- which is very high praise in my family.

LB

Stephanie said...

I just knew you wouldn't be able to bear missing our comments - ha -so happy!

Cassie said...

Wow. Beautifully said. I wish for those very same things.
Peace to you in 2013!