Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A List A Mile Long

TO DO LIST---FEBRUARY 19, 2013
  1. Try to find a different profile photo.  I've added a lot few wrinkles since the last one was taken.
  2. Photoshop the recent one Graycie took...or spring for a face lift.
  3. Do price comparisons on face lift costs.
  4. Check want-ads for J-O-B to pay for face lift.
  5. Learn to walk on hands to try and reverse gravity.
  6. Go to Dollar Tree for first aid kit.
  7.  While still in car, apply bandages from first aid kit to stop the bleeding and hide the bruises.
  8. Have a brain fart while driving home.
  9.  Use car visor mirror to strategically stick band aids (from Dollar Tree first aid kit) to temples and behind the ears for DIY face lift.
  10. Sigh loudly and accept the fact this is my mother's face looking back at me from the mirror.
  11. Ask myself why would I want to change a thing?
  12. Throw this list away and start a new one.

REVISED "TAKE TIME TO REMEMBER" TO DO LIST---FEBRUARY 19, 2012
  1. Remember Helen always wore a slip under her dresses...and not just the white, summer ones.
  2. Remember how she didn't try to hide her tears or her joy.  She cried when I cried and laughed when I laughed.
  3. Remember her red nail polish was always on or off, but never chipped.
  4. Remember her short pencil when there were more days in the month than money in the bank.
  5. Remember how every child, regardless of age, thought they were her favorite...including me.
  6. Remember her hospitality when guests were in her home...regardless of their circumstances or why they were there.
  7. Remember how she treated everyone as her equal...no better than her, but more importantly, not inferior either.
  8. Remember how daily she proved class and good taste cannot be bought or sold. It's something one is born with.  She just knew her perfume should never enter a room before she did, but linger a moment or two after she had left.
  9. Remember how she didn't wait for someone to tell her she could...she just did.
  10. Remember when she forgave, she forgot.  She didn't leave behind a single burned bridge or singed enemy.
  11. Remember her size 6 shoes that seemed so tiny at the time, but were so big to try and fill afterwards.
  12. Remember her smile.  Even at the end.

Helen Louise Sadler Callahan

Today is my mother's birthday. I'd say how old she would have been, but there's some things a lady never owns up to...her age being one of them.  I will say she left us for the better world a'waitin' right about 15 years ago. That September morning is still as fresh in my memory as if it were yesterday. The pain isn't as sharp, but the beautiful memories of her are.  I carry them around in my heart and from time to time, take them out to share with the world.  Today is one of those days.

There isn't a day that goes by I don't achingly miss her, but thank goodness, I only have to look in the mirror to remember what she looked like.  As for her character, I can only hope to be half the woman or a tenth of the lady she was.

P.S. You're allowed to smile or laugh with this post. That's the way Mother would have liked it...trust me.

13 comments:

bobbie said...

Hugs ~

Debra@CommonGround said...

so sweet Debbie! xoxo

Gayle said...

You are BOTH beautiful class acts.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful post my friend!!

Laura said...

This is beautiful Deb.
She sounds like YOU and vice versa.
I miss my mother so much.
You know we look for someone to talk to don't we?
Someone with that same unconditional way about them.

Love you.

Laura Belle

Low Tide High Style said...

Beautiful... the post, your mother, and you!

Kat

Sue said...

Great post Debbie, and I'm glad to see the comments available again. Beautiful picture of your Mom. My Mom's birthday was on the 4th of this month. Its nice to remember them but a bit bittersweet at the same time.

Take care my friend,
Sue

Ann said...

your face is beautiful!!
my grandson calls the wrinkles in my face "stripes"!! he saw a Lifestyle Lift commercial and said " look Dawa..you could do that and your stripes would go away!" he was 5 at the time!! i have earned every one i have..and they are proud reminders of the knowledge i have gained over the years..each one represents something important that happened in my life..good or bad. i wear my life proudly!!
your mother sounds like such a wonderful person..i would have loved to have known her. she sounds so much like my mom, who i miss so much every day..and it has been almost 15 years.
hugs!

Missy said...

YOU are beautiful, as was your Mother! Your post makes me miss my Mom too. My hubby was commenting recently that I was starting to remind him a bit of my Mother....but it was that part of her that my Dad had to beware of! heehee

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Beautiful post Debbie!
Hugs~~~ Daphne

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Oh I can so see so many of your mom's charactistics in you and I'm sure had she still been alive, you would have thrown a party that the Dallas paper would have been begging to come and write about. Happy Birthday to your beautiful mom!

the old white house said...

...I smiled along, just couldn't help myself! My moms shoes are tough to fill but like you I try, and when I look in the mirror I'm catch myself being surprised that she is looking back at me! lucky us! love, t.xoxoxo

jennifer anderson said...

oh wow, you do look like her!