Sunday, December 11, 2016

Bonfires of My Vanities

Recently, while raking and bagging leaves, it suddenly occurred to me why a season is deserving of two names---autumn and fall. For every one leaf I raked, 5 would fall and sadly I paid the price of all that bending over!
 
My muscles told me that I too had entered a new season in my life. I no longer could spring back when I toted that barge and lifted that bale. My insides might say I was still in the summer of my life, but my outsides screamed ouch! And while I'm still a long way from being in the winter of my discontent, I am no longer a spring chicken and have to admit I am an Autumn in more ways than just my color wheel.
 
I have morphed into a leaf on a tree. I know it when I look in the mirror and see a woman who's hair is fading and skin has lost it's dewy suppleness. Even my feet have wrinkles and the girls'---Mary Kate and Ashley---no longer stand at attention like good soldiers, but fall to the floor upon my standing upright!
 
Where just a few years ago, my signature seasoning was a tiny bit salty and a whole lot peppery, nowadays I'm more sagey and thyme-y.
 
Which brings me to today. With my aching back and screaming joints from going up and down a ladder in preparation for Christmas, I have to accept I no longer am middle aged, but am officially Medicare age.
 
(Upon my word, I am also officially shocked to admit it!)
 
But with each change in the season of life, comes changes in perspective and goals. Things that once mattered a great deal to me, no longer hold my attention. Besides, let's face facts. Staying focused was never one of my strong suits. Can you say "squirrel"?
 
I can't speak for Cat Daddy, but for starters one change I'm making is semi-retiring from the business of junk. And personally, I don't think there's a better time to do it than now.
 
Why you ask?
 
Simply put---the business isn't anything like it was 5 years ago.
 
(And if you find yourself wondering what's changed---just ask and I'll elaborate on another post!)
 
One change I've already made is Facebook time. I no longer hang out there much. Like me, it too has aged, but unlike me, not in a good way. Where before it was a place to reconnect with people as well as share good things., now it's morphed into something unrecognizable and down right ugly, filled with political diatribes, self-promotion and more than an unhealthy dose of self love. And quite frankly, I don't feel like I am welcomed unless I'm willing to accept the unacceptable.
 
(Note to self: Remember---not everyone using FB is guilty of the above mentioned evils, but trying to separate the wheat from the chaff is wearing thin. In other words, there still are good people on there, but getting to them takes a whole lotta scrolling!)
 
I have ventured into Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/york.deb/), but as to how long I'll be there is anybody's guess. I will admit it is fast, but it can be a little bit confusing and I don't work well with confusing! We'll see how long it takes this old dog to learn a few new tricks before giving up!
 
Another change I'm making is this blog. Before I would ramble on and on about upcoming shows, cool finds and the like. Now instead I'll be talking about whatever God throws into my stream of consciousness. Should you choose to hang around and listen to my answers to life questions, it will be a little like peeking into my psyche!
 
I truly feel He has led me back to where I started.

As 2016 slides into 2017, I am rekindling my love affair with words and together I hope we can make some beautiful---or at least loud---music together!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

Cheryl said...

This is great Deb......love reading your words of wisdom!
I, too, am slowing down a little. Facebook is getting to be not so friendly.
I don't do Instagram and you are right....the "junk" business ain't what it used to be.
I will soon be 73 and am enjoying life since I have survived cancer and wish to stay
in remission the rest if my senior journey........I feel so blessed!!
Wishing you and CD a very Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years!
Blessings and Hugs,
Cheryl in Ohio where the snow is snowing,
The wind is blowing, but I can weather the storm....
What do I care......I've got my love to keep me warm!

donna baker said...

Oops, Deb, should have read this post first. Sounds like things are good. I just went on Medicare. The times are a changin'.

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog, don't always have time but when I do I'm never disappointed and always leave smiling. With you on the FB thing, hang in there with Instagram, small learning curve but a happy place. Merry Christmas !

CindyP said...

I "get" it, and you are so right! Merry Christmas to you and CD!

Unknown said...

I will be hanging on every word. Much Love and Merry Christmas to you and Danny!

Kathie Truitt said...

How funny that you're saying these things. I too, feel called back to my blog. People tell me that blogs are a thing of the past, but I don't care. I don't even care if anyone reads me, anymore. It's where I feel at home. Welcome home to you, too.