Friday, October 3, 2008

They Work Hard For The Money

I'd like to start this post at Zapp Hall with just a little background info. Normally, Cat Daddy & I do this show, but we were not able to this year, bummer. Zapp is located in downtown Warrenton along with many other shows. We're partial to this one because of our friends and extended family there. It's where we like to hang. There is always a party to be found at Zapp.Bill, Patsy, and Richard have a tent at Zapp. We're lucky to have them as friends. Isn't she just the tiniest of things? (And Bill, you're a cutie patootie, too.)
Again, unless you do the outdoor shows, you can't truly understand how much work goes into getting an end result like this. There is also a great deal of risk involved from weather damage. The wind alone can wreak havoc.
There are tons of boxes to unpack and a lot of layering. The guys and Patsy have it down to an art.
I am crazy about anything with little drawers in it. Look at all these wonderful pieces.
Baby Sister was checking everything out. To find this quality of furniture requires a great deal of time and energy.
This is Richard and Patsy vogueing for the camera. Say goodbye, y'all. Come back and see us, you hear? I am going to get on my soap box again right now. We're going to walk over to another field and I think I feel a lecture coming on. For those of you already in this business, you may be excused for a potty break. The porta-potties are on your right. For those of you who aren't or are thinking about getting into this as a profitable business, I'm going to share some of my wisdom.(But, only a little-I don't have a lot to spare) This is fun to do but it is hard, back breaking work as well, if done right. You have to scour the country side looking for unique, one of a kind items, sometimes coming home empty. A lot of folks think the main place to shop is garage sales, but those days are long gone. Oh, you may find a great treasure once in a while, but its mainly baby clothes and exercise equipment. For my time and gas, a garage sale just ain't worth it. You've got to be willing to pay for really good stuff and hope your instincts are right about what you can sell it for. Presentation is everything. You've got to be willing to build a store in the middle of nothing from the dirt up, knowing it's going to sell and then build it again, only different. You've got to smile sweetly when someone asks why it's so high in price when they think you dug it out of the trash. You've got to be able to cope with wind, rain, heat, cold and rude shoppers and never lose your cool. For an example, take a look at the next set-up. This is Gloria, The Sweet Pea Collection, who I've done a previous post on. Look at the merchandising, details, and dedication that went into creating this look.
She, like most of the dealers who set during Antique Week, spends six months getting prepared for this show. This she does in addition to running a shop. A plan is laid out and things are purchased to make this plan happen. You really don't think this comes from a garage sale or a dumpster, do you? Everyone I know works this hard to make their spots beautiful and inviting.
This was my favorite of all her bedding. The embellishments are to die for. She hand selects all her chairs and sofas for custom upholstery work, then coordinates the fabric choices. It's like art.
Gloria has the most gorgeous florals, botanicals, and arrangements.
Lush, lush, sweet Charlotte! Even though it doesn't look like it, this is in a field. This is what I mean about building a store. I hope I didn't upset or offend anyone with my ravings, it's just I think the vendors of all these shows who work this hard and put so much effort in their presentations, deserve a standing ovation for their efforts. I'll end this post by saying in spite of the work, it is worth it because for every one grouch you'll encounter, you'll meet ten sweeties. You are going to make some wonderful new friends and you'll never look back with regrets.(except maybe that one steal you let get away!)

5 comments:

WhisperWood Cottage said...

I like items with drawers, too! I also see that you like old musicals! I absolutely love them! If I'm having a down, sick, or rainy day, there is nothing like an old musical to pick me up!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am definitely heading to Warrenton the next go around. At least just to look around & get some photos. :) I totally understand what you mean about the hard work... my booth is on a much, much smaller scale. But it is so upsetting when I come in to check on things & find my merchandise moved around or on the floor for what seems no reason at all. thanks for sharing the pics. xoxo, Joanna

Lauri Evans said...

oh AMEN, Queen Trash. I wish there was a way to create an internship for the avid/rabid shopper (code for free labor) to help set up/take down. I think they'd never balk at a price EVER.
Can't wait to hang at Zapp in 6.
oxoxox lulu

The Texas Woman said...

Great idea about putting 'Que Pasa' in my kitchen cantina. My mind hadn't leaped there yet so I'm glad yours did. Thank you.

I love the booths at Warrenton too. I just wish they'd put them all on trailers and drive my me as I point and purchase certain wares.

The Texas Woman

A Wild Thing said...

Right on Sista!!! Soooooo much work...as I watched Craig and Theresa meticulously load each piece into the truck, sometimes having to shift the whole load...knowing what you can buy to fit the price point of an area. Remembering everything that is in the truck so you can put it it the deep freeze memory banks, as you plot how the booth will be configured. Then truck it all back to Kentucky from Iowa or Texas or wherever.. Same with a store, you plot while you shop.

But it's all worth it in the end, cause we do love what we do....right...oh my achin' back!!!

sharon